| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Finally getting incisional hernia repaired  (Read 5695 times)

Offline mom2three

• Top 100 Poster!
Finally getting incisional hernia repaired
« on: December 05, 2011, 09:33:28 PM »
Thought I'd give an update since I posted on this back when I was having trouble confirming the hernia diagnosis. After seeing 2 different surgeons at my transplant center (2 hours away) the second one confirmed what 3 doctors in my home town said... that I have an incisional hernia from my nephrectomy.  Fortunately, even 17 months after my donation, the Transplant Center is covering this (through my recipient's insurance, I presume), and I'm having outpatient surgery tomorrow. So the good part is I'm getting the care I need and not having any co-pays or deductibles come out of my pocket.

I did contact the Hospital Ombudsmen to find out why surgeon #1 at the transplant center insisted I did not have a hernia which 4 other doctors said was very apparent. I didn't get very far in that complaint because he said the care he provided was appropriate given the symptoms.  His section chief reviews all patient complaints every month, I'm told, but I'm not holding out that I'll be contacted again.

I'm sure the hernia repair will be a piece of cake tomorrow compared to the donation surgery!
Donated to cousin on 6/29/2010 at Cleveland Clinic

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
Re: Finally getting incisional hernia repaired
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 03:31:31 PM »
Good luck getting through the new surgery!
      Snoopy

Offline kali

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 10:23:13 AM »
My surgeon also suggested that many people are just prone to hernias.  As if I would just naturally have one (I'm 5'7" and 125lbs).  I could tell by feeling where it was that it had to be an incisional hernia.  (when I finally got the courage to really mush my guts around there after the surgery)  After much calling and insisting on my part, the hospital finally agreed to pay my overdue bills.  I live close to my donor hospital and go there for my regular check ups now since all the records are in their computer.

The hernia surgery was a piece of cake compared to the original donation  The laproscopic incisions are so small you can barely see them.  I'm back to trying to do Pilates and yoga now one year afterwards.

Good luck with your recovery. Keep us posted!
Kali

Offline mom2three

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 02:07:42 PM »
Thanks Kali and Snoopy.  You were right, Kali. Surgery yesterday was a piece of cake. I had mine repaired openly rather than laparoscopically because it was pretty small. Haven't look at the incision yet but I imagine it is very little since it's causing me very little pain. A small price to pay for the privilege of making someone's life better by donating a kidney. :)
Donated to cousin on 6/29/2010 at Cleveland Clinic

Offline Barbara S

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 06:29:39 PM »
glad its all fixed - thankfully my repair has been fine for 7 1/2 years!
just take it easy during your recovery
Proud Kidney Donor to Brother
December 9, 2003
at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

Offline livingdonor101

• Top 50 poster!
    • Living Donor 101
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 12:45:27 PM »
@mom2three:  If you're inclined, you could file a complaint with the state medical licensing board about the first surgeon's sub-par care. You could also contact JCAHO at http://www.jointcommission.org/ 

UNOS also has a living donor hotline number (which you should've been given a the time of your donation), but there's no evidence it does any good.

I'm glad to know your hernia surgery went well. Take care.
www.livingdonor101.com - Where Living Donors Matter Most.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved