| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Kidney donation, depression and self injury  (Read 8889 times)

Offline ElyRose

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Kidney donation, depression and self injury
« on: February 26, 2014, 05:39:16 PM »
Hiya all!
Firstly, I think this forum is amazing and so great for those considering/in the process of donation!
I myself am considering kidney donation to someone I don't know, but I'm not sure I would qualify on psychological grounds. I have a history of depression- although it was diagnosed as mild and I have been discharged from the mental health service.
I think this would be okay except I have a lot scars from self injury on my arm and legs and I think when people see them they assume I have a pretty bad issue with my mental health. In fact, I think it's been over a year since I've self-injured and I think I'm doing great. The antidepressants are doing their job and I'm so much better than I used to be.

My question is, could my history with self harm and depression (as well as currently on antidepressants) mean I could get rejected for kidney donation? I'd love to be able to do it because I know that time is precious and if I could give someone even an extra year to spend with their loved ones then it'd be worth it.

Sorry if I've embarrassed anyone or anything! I know some people find it hard to talk about things to do with mental health.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:41:55 PM by ElyRose »

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Kidney donation, depression and self injury
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:07:17 PM »
Dear ElyRose,
     Hi. Congratulations on desire to donate.
     Part of the evaluation the hospitals do for potential donors is the psychological evaluation, so just be completely honest with them as they evaluate you past history to try to make sure that donation is right for you. I might help to consult the professional who helped you with your problems, and perhaps have a written evaluation from him/her to present to the hospital when you apply to be a donor? from the experiences that I have read, it appears that some hospitals are more demanding than others with regard to psychological evaluations.
     Keep in mind also that some donors (and likewise some people who undergo any successful operation, or successful childbirth) suffer some depression AFTER the surgery. So if you go ahead with the donation make sure that you and your family and you health care provider alert for possible signs of post-op depression so as to get help right away.
     Perhaps others here might offer some helpful experiences as well.
   best wishes,
       Fr. Pat 

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 08:02:04 AM »
Dear ElyRose ,

It is very good that you would like to donate a kidney.  Living donors must be in excellent health, and mental and emotional wellness is an important part of the evaluation.  Perhaps you would like to discuss your interest in donation with your current doctor and psychologist before you approach a living donor program, since they know you best. 

Love, elephant

Offline ElyRose

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 04:59:46 PM »
Hi fr. Pat and elephant, thank you for your replies!
I'll definitely speak with my healthcare people to see what their professional opinions are.
Thanks!
Emiky

Offline Amberwoo

• Top 100 Poster!
    • My Kidney Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 09:05:31 AM »
Hey,
I battled with Self Injury for awhile and it did come up in the psych evaluation, I just told them it was something from my past and that I was doing great without it.  It did not stop me from being considered to be a donor.  But I would just be honest with the people who do the psych evaluation, let them know you are doing better and hopefully it all will work out. 

Good Luck With everything.
Donated Kidney on 05/22/2014
My Experience- http://kidneydonorthoughts.blogspot.com/

Offline carmelpi

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 10:00:11 PM »
I had the major depression minus the self-harm and it didn't stop me.  It did mean I had to be cleared by a transplant center Psych doc before they'd consider me further.

Offline pilotjjc3

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 08:10:41 PM »
After my donation, I was part of a research study on depression.  As previously stated, a lot of donors go through a depression post-surgery.  Although I didn't go through the depression, I was made aware of this problem.  I would think if you actively treated your depression and you would get treatment if it happened again, I would think that would be OK.  But as stated, talk to your doctors and see what they think.  Good luck.

Offline hopingtodonate

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 11:08:58 PM »
Hi,  I've found your question and the responses helpful.  I too am checking into being a lkd and have had some depression in my history; one particularly bad episode about 6 years ago.  Many factors contributed to it.  I hope it doesn't result in me being turned away but I have to trust that  the professionals know best and accept what their decision will be.  I also have some pre-hypertension bp readings so I'm not a shoe in but should find out soon from the hospital whether I can proceed or not.  Good luck to you.  Whatever is best for your well being is important.  ;)

Offline Ilania

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 09:45:52 PM »
I donated my left kidney on June 28,2012, to a person I did not know.  I have been on anti depressants for 25 yrs and it was not a concern for the team because the depression was managed. If the depression is not currently managed it could be a hardship for you. Your quality of life must come first before you can change the quality of life for another.

I experienced pure joy afterward and no depression.
Best wishes and tux for giving...wish I had another to donate.

Offline peterduvall

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 02:28:21 PM »
Ely

Hi - I'm Peter - I donated a kidney to my father 7 years ago.

It's great that you are considering donation.

The process for me was pretty straight forward , easy decision to donate, both surgeries went well etc. Still it IS an emotional roller coaster and that is something you need to be prepared for.

The one thing about the screening processed that surprised me was the psychological questions and testing - they want to make sure you are not donating for shady reasons (to a boss and expecting a raise, to a family member you dont get a long with, etc), and also that you are able to handle the ups and down of it all. I really felt hammered by the psychologist with all the questioning and the way they were asked, I felt like she was trying to even provoke a reaction out of me. I also live in NYC (where some people ca nbe a bit more upfront and direct about things) and had a particularly prickly, difficult  "counselor" - as confirmed by a friend of mine who was one of her co-workers.

But - that is  just a part of the screening process - good luck!

Peter

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 08:23:55 AM »
As part of my psychological evaluation, I had to complete a Rorshach test, and also draw the home in which I grew up!  For a few minutes, I thought my inability to draw at better than 2nd-grade level would destroy my chances of being approved to donate.  Fortunately, artistic achievement must not have counted to heavily!
    Be well, Snoopy

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional