| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Seeking advices on Liver Donation for Kidney Donor  (Read 3454 times)

Offline salman004

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Seeking advices on Liver Donation for Kidney Donor
« on: February 03, 2016, 03:13:49 PM »
I donated my left kidney to my brother in Aug 2014. I had a terrible recovery schedule as pleural effusion went undiagnosed for 5 days, which prolonged my hospital stay to 10-11 days instead of usual 2-3days. It took a month and half for me to get back to 75-80% and another month and a half to achieve 90%. By 5-6 months, I was all back to myself, all praises to God Almighty. Since then, I even ran a full marathon and another half, and am fully back to everything I did before with ease.

Presently, I'm actively considering an altruistic liver donation. I would like to hear some advices on the same, especially from liver donors and if possible from those who donated both kidney and liver.

Cheers!
Salman, India.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Seeking advices on Liver Donation for Kidney Donor
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 07:11:43 PM »
Dear Salman,
     I know of only a few kidney donors who have later also donated a liver lobe. In America very few transplant hospitals will even consider accepting such an offer. But I don't know the situation in India. Keep in mind that the liver-lobe donation is a more dangerous surgery with a higher risk of complications.
   best wishes,
    Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional