| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 2 Arteries in my kidney?! Sigh  (Read 5394 times)

OverseasDonor

2 Arteries in my kidney?! Sigh
« on: March 20, 2012, 02:09:07 AM »
I live overseas and the standard of medical care is good. I was all hyped about donating until the CAT Scan showed 2 arteries in my kidney. Doctors said I would be more risky now for the recipient.
Someone very sick may take my kidney, but I'm exploring bone marrow.
This forum has given me so much information - thank you all.

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: 2 Arteries in my kidney?! Sigh
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:28:47 AM »
I had Three arteries to my kidney-and there was no problem with me donating. Why are they saying it is risky?

OverseasDonor

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 08:50:22 AM »
They said there would be an increased risk of bleeding for the recipieint. The recipient was told to try to find someone else and that a recipeint could take me only if they agreed to an increased risk.
I will keep you posted.

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:14:45 PM »
There is a risk of clotting with a double renal arteries being transplanted.  The risk is high with pediatric cadaver donations.

You can explore a center with more experience performing double artery transplants.  It does happen quite a bit with deceased donor transplants.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional