| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: The latest and a question  (Read 5250 times)

Offline Meredith

• Top 200 Poster!
The latest and a question
« on: November 08, 2011, 07:48:23 PM »
Hello all!

Last week was a bit of a whirlwind.  I found out just before the weekend (on the 28th) that I am a match for my mom.  I didn't know much more but that news was welcome.

Then on the 1st I got a call from the surgeon himself, telling me that he's concerned about something he sees on the top of my right kidney.  He says it could likely be a cyst, but they're usually clear and filled with fluid, and what I have is dense.  I now go back to San Francisco on the 14th for an ultrasound and MRI.

From what I've read, cysts on kidneys are super common, but the fact that it's not clear is not a great sign.  I now have two worries -- what if I get bad news, and what if it leads to my not being a donor after all?  That would absolutely kill me!  I was so happy to find out I can do this for my mom, and now I feel like everything is up in the air again.

Anyone out there have a similar experience?  Or any words of wisdom about cysts?

Thanks,
Meredith
Meredith

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: The latest and a question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:21:53 PM »
Meredith,

Several donors on here have had tests that have revealed some type of unusual anatomical structure, which is why they do all the tests they do. As you have said, cysts really are very common and as an ultrasound tech I have seen many cysts on kidneys. Now there can also be some dense lesions on organs that are also not clinically significant like benign lesions or lipomas (contain fat). it may also be something related to your adrenal gland since he said it is on top of the kidney, not really sure. While it is easy for me to say, don't worry, i understand your concern. So try not to jump to any conclusions yet. See if you can ask the surgeon to get what's called a "wet read" or stat read so the radiologist will call the requesting physician immediately and then he can call you. This way you don't have the "waiting game". Once you have the information of what this lesion is they saw on CT (I am assuming it was a CT) then you can move to step 2. Worse case scenario, it is something that needs to be removed and you may not be eligible to donate, but may be a lifesaver for you. Best case scenario, it is a benign lesion or cyst and they may still consider you to be a good candidate to donate and they will leave you with the "clean" kidney and use the other one for donation.

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 03:37:21 PM »
Hi Meredith,

I really do not have any experience with cysts on the kidneys, and I think Sherri gave you excellent advice and information. I just wanted to tell you that I am thinking of you and wishing you the very best when you go back for the ultrasound and MRI tomorrow. Please do let us know how things for you.

Best Wishes,
Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 10:30:20 PM »
The kidney I donated to my niece was found to have a cyst in it which was seen in the MRI. 

It hasn't affected the performance for her one little bit.  It is doing its job just fine!
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Linda

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 10:00:30 AM »
Meredith, I hope you get good news about your test!  I'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way!  Keep us posted!
donated kidney to dear friend Oct. 2011

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional