| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Non-directed testing in a few weeks: question about kidney chains  (Read 4172 times)

Offline kfc

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Non-directed testing in a few weeks: question about kidney chains
« on: September 19, 2014, 11:27:59 AM »
I've lurked on this board for a long time, since last January, and I began pursuing non-directed donation in March through the university hospital in my state. I go in for my initial day of testing in a few weeks. I am wondering if anyone can tell me if the transplant center will automatically try to get me to start a chain or do I have to independently do that through National Kidney Registry? I don't want this to be interpreted incorrectly, but I'm hoping that if I'm approved, my donation would have maximum impact and be able to take more than one person off the wait list. Can anyone speak to this? I know that donating to even one person is life-changing, but I would love to be able to help multiple families. Thanks!

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
Re: Non-directed testing in a few weeks: question about kidney chains
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »
What an exciting time.  I donated two years ago at UCSF through the NKR and was able to get a chain started.  Is your hospital a donor center for NKR?  There is much I could say but maybe better to share by email.  If you wish to pick my brain and experience shoot me an email:   dunhill052@sbcglobal.net

Offline kfc

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 02:55:28 PM »
Hi PastorJeff, I'm sending you an e-mail, thanks!

Offline Waiting2donate

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:40:34 PM »
Any major center will try to start a chain, but you should discuss with them, that's what the donor coordinator is there for. Some centers are more aggressive about going outside their own list or area to do a chain, some want to keep it in-house. Talk to them before doing anything else. I was disappointed that I could not start a chain, but that's how it worked out and one is better than none. My center tried, but they only work with their own list and I didn't want to start over a third time. Be patient and persistent, it took me just over a year and two different centers. Take your time and get all of the info you need from your center before deciding to go to the registry. Your center may or may not be willing to work with you with the registry. Chains outside the center are very complex and not all centers seem to have the resources or interest in committing to them.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional