| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Medical conditions for donors  (Read 3231 times)

Offline MichaelK454

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Medical conditions for donors
« on: December 07, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »
Hi:

Looking for some info.

I had a rare type of eye cancer which was treated over five years ago with non-invasive brachytherapy.  I get regular check-ups and am clean.  Can I be a kidney donor?

Michael

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: Medical conditions for donors
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:21:35 PM »
Being cancer-free for five years (congratulations!) would seem to put the odds in favor of potentially being a donor. However, since each transplant has it's own policies, you won't know until you talk with the transplant team.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
Re: Medical conditions for donors
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:38:54 AM »
As Michael said, each transplant center makes its own rules, so you will have to ask.

Years ago, a history of any cancer, no matter how long ago and no matter the type, was disqualifying.  Many or most centers now accept people with a history of solid cancer (not leukemia, for instance) with low risk of having spread (often not breast cancer, for instance), appropriately treated, and no evidence of return for 5 years.  I had had prostate cancer 10 years earlier than my donation, also treated with brachytherapy, and continued PSA counts that are undetectable.

If you check with the Center, please let us know.   Bill
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved