| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Bloat  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Kidney Bean

• Top 100 Poster!
Bloat
« on: September 05, 2012, 01:27:43 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am still doing very well. It will be seven weeks after my surgery tomorrow. I do not have the fatigue lots of people seem to get. I am only sore when I overdo it. I am very grateful for my quick recovery. One thing is annoying me, though. The inflammation/ bloating situation. I realize it's still relatively soon after my surgery, but I have a thin build and it definitely looks like I have a gut now. I start out some mornings looking relatively normal, but as the day progresses, so does the stomach. I tried wearing jeans this weekend- I bloated right out of them until they were actually painful to wear! From my reading on this site, I understand this is normal. My question for donors further along in recovery: how long did it take to go away? Did you find the swelling correlated with doing too much? Or is it just going to take some time? As always, I truly appreciate the advice!

Thanks,
Annie

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Bloat
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:04:32 AM »
     The only suggestion I can offer is to do a lot of bending and stretching exercises. At least that is what seemed to help me.
   best wishes,
       Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:56:13 AM »
Dear Annie,

It will pass, don't worry!  The area above my incision continued to puff up for several months, especially on days when I was very active.  You might want to try limiting the foods that are culprits for increasing bloating, like sugar, salt, wheat.  I found that wearing control top hoisery/undergarments helped control the swelly belly.   Love, elephant

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:11:19 PM »
I had swelling for about 8-10 weeks. I told people that at first, it felt like I was carrying a football in front of me! As time went on the "football" shrunk to a baseball and then a golf ball - finally going away. They "messed" with everything in there an awful lot (remember that your kidney is in the back, not the front, so they have to move several organs out of the way) and swelling is the body's natural reaction to trauma in an effort to heal itself.  Hopefully, it will resolve itself shortly for you. Hope you are better soon!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:41:50 PM »
I could not comfortably wear fitted pants for 5-6 months. I always wondered how normal that was but didn't ask. If I tried wearing fitted pants I'd have to leave work early and come home to hug my heating pad. The heating pad helped so much with the pain-you might try that. I'd say take it easy, try not to do too much, and wear comfy clothes. Your body is still healing-pamper it! ;D
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Kidney Bean

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »
Thanks everyone! I still have the bloat going on. It's annoying, but I am reassured that it's normal. I will try the heating pad, jstx! Tomorrow will be 3 months post. I will try to take it a little bit easier, I guess, and hopefully it will pass with more time.

Thanks,
Annie

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 08:37:39 PM »
I had another surgery 6 months after the donation surgery and it was very important to do lymphatic massage to take down swelling.  It is easy to find on the internet just go to tubetube.  Mine was more focused on the upper part of the body but all over lymphatic and in our cases, lower half is also very beneficial anytime you have swelling from fluid build up. 

Wish I had know about it for the donation recovery.  It really helps.  If you have questions you can find a massuse that is trained in this, doctors may be able to direct you and physical therapists should be able to also.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional