| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Post donation update  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Mooge

• Top 100 Poster!
Post donation update
« on: November 05, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »
Hi all,

It's been one week since my donation! I had an open procedure where they removed the right kidney. There were no significant complications and the recipient and I are both home already - they sprung me on the fourth day and she went home today, mostly because they were worried about post-op infections in the hospital and preferred to have her recover at home. Her kidney functions have gotten steadily better all week and her creatinine yesterday was about 1.2.

I feel pretty good. I am not in constant pain and am not on any pain meds to speak of. Took Tylenol once today, have been walking and moving around quite a bit. Getting from one position to another is tough but that's the worst of it, it's bearable. Drinking and peeing a lot. Taking it easy at home with books and movies - an enforced vacation that is reason enough to donate a kidney  :). Feeling really good emotionally about the whole thing, lots of family and community support.

A couple of concerns - quite a lot of midsection swelling on the right side. I imagine that is to be expected, especially with an open procedure, and I see it has come up in the past on the board. Still - a bit surprised that half of my body is 5 months pregnant! I also have measured my BP at home once or twice and it is quite a bit higher than it was pre-surgery. Trying not to stress out about it too much. It seems to me that the swelling and the BP might be connected, but I'm not sure of what would cause what...any ideas are welcome. Obviously I will be sharing this with the doctors, but one disadvantage of our (generally great) public health system is that followup care can be a bit lacking, so I'm looking for advice where I can find it.

In general - feeling okay and hoping to feel even better soon.

Comments welcome! I appreciate the support I've gotten from this board and from individuals in the forum, hoping to continue to contribute.

Mooge

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
Re: Post donation update
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
Mooge,

AWESOME!  and welcome.  (Fr. Pat will send you by private e-mail our secret handshake.   ;) )

In general, post-op swelling and higher B/P may be related somewhat , as well as the IV fluids they pump into the patient during surgery.  That is, some people might be still a bit fluid overloaded, that is to say, salt overloaded.  If you have not already done so, or if you are not already on a low salt diet in general, it might be a good idea to do so now.

BUT, certainly another factor that can cause higher B/P is pain.  Even though you do not have a lot, as you said, for many post-op people, moving from one position to another causes an increase, and especially if they also are a bit "on edge" to avoid moving.

A temporary minor increase in B/P is OK -- unless it is gets to or above 180 systolic; if that is where it is, call the Transplant Program or ER to be seen ASAP.  If it is in the 165-179 range, I would call the Program.  Above 200 is a true emergency.

To Life!  L'Chaim!!   :)

Bill
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 05:30:03 PM »
Welcome to the donor club, Mooge. Glad to hear you and your recipient are at home recuperating.

Sounds like the pain is manageable. Did you get specific instructions if there is swelling in the area of the incision. Any redness or fever? There must  be a clinic number to call to at least ask if you should be seen. As Dr. Bill said, nothing wrong with taking pain medicine. BP is sometimes sensitive to discomfort. When do you go back for follow up? Here in the US most places will see the donor after a week or 1days and then release them to follow up with their primary care doctor. Donors do need to follow up with their center, one month, 6 months, 1 year and 2 years post donation so that data can be collected. Is donor data collected regularly in Israel?

Keep up the good work by resting and enjoying the time off. Looking forward to your thoughts on TOI post donation. Speedy and full recovery.

All the best,

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 07:31:50 AM »
Dear Mooge,

WOW!  I am happy to hear both you and your new kidney twin are doing well.
Isn't it amazing how quickly recipients improve?  Helps make you forget how crummy you feel.

You got some great info from Dr. Bill.   I never even thought to have my BP checked post-donation so I have no idea what happened. 

Stick around here, you will have a lot to offer people who are faced with open surgery.  I sure want to hear about your continuing recovery.

Love, elephant

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 03:09:29 PM »
Bravo! Best wishes to all!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 01:01:20 AM »
Dear Mooge,
     Congratulations to you both!
     As I think I mentioned before, I found that gentle bending and stretching exercises seemed to help a lot. I would also massage the swollen area vigorously (if pain permitted), and also found that just stretching out flat on my back on the floor was helpful. If I understand the science involved, the body has to fill up the empty space occupied by the missing kidney with fluids temporarily to protect everything, and the surrounding organs have to shift into comfy positions and settle down as part of the healing process. So be patient, but help yourself out with as much movement and gentle exercise as your condition will allow.
     best wishes,
       Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved