| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New & Helping a friend - advice please?  (Read 4015 times)

Offline nbondrox

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
New & Helping a friend - advice please?
« on: September 19, 2014, 10:44:49 PM »
HI everyone!
My name is Nikki & I am desperately trying to find an kidney donor for a friend.
I would love to hear any advice from you all on the most effective ways to do this.
His insurance will cover all medical & travel expenses  - he is a  wonderful man!
If anyone here has any interest please contact  - thanks so much!
Also, please "like" A Kidney For Danny on FaceBook

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: New & Helping a friend - advice please?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 03:56:09 AM »
     As not everyone uses facebook, it would be wise to write up briefly but clearly your friend's need for a transplant, and basic information about living donation (including where to get more information, especially about the risks involved, before deciding to offer or not.) Get that information to your friend's relatives, neighbors, co-workers, club members, church/synagogue members, old alumni, local newspapers, etc.  Some donors have stepped forward after reading about someone's need in an alumni newsletter, a church bulletin, or even on a supermarket bulletin board. So get the word out as extensively as possible.
   best wishes,
   Fr. Pat

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 10:09:56 AM »
And remember to mention your friend's blood type.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 01:11:43 PM »
Mentioning the geographic region and how to reach the Transplant Center, too.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:08:15 PM »
     If I might add another idea to Michael's excellent suggestion about mentioning your friend's blood type. It would also be good, I think, to find out clearly from the doctor or the transplant coordinator ALL the blood types that would be compatible for a kidney donation to your friend. Many people still mistakenly believe that the blood types need to be IDENTICAL. Actually they need to be COMPATIBLE for a kidney transplant, not necessarily identical, and in kidney donations the "+" or "-" in the blood types does not matter. For example a patient with "A+" blood is compatible to receive a kidney from another "A+", or from an "A-", or from an "O+", or from an "O-". Sometimes when readers see right away that they are compatible it catches their attention.
     Also mention that if someone is willing to donate a kidney but is NOT compatible for your friend, he/she can still offer to do a "Swap", giving the kidney to someone else in return for a kidney fro your friend from that person's incompatible donor.
     Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional