| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: My one year nephrologist visit  (Read 3393 times)

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
My one year nephrologist visit
« on: November 02, 2013, 10:30:25 AM »
Went to my own  nephrologist one year out from my donation.  I am 61.  He was very helpful.  He asked if I had a nuclear test before donation to see which kidney was the better one.  I had not.  Maybe something to ask for pre-transplant.  Sometimes the function can be quite different.   He wants me to do a 24hour urine creatinine clearance to get my true GFR.  He said, the estimate on our lab results is set up for people with 2 kidneys.  He wants me to see a nutritionist to go over my diet.  He cautioned me against herbal remedies and food from China.  There can be toxins that hurt kidneys.   He was happy with my blood pressure.  He also wants to ultrasound my prostate to see if that might be preventing my bladder from emptying completely.  All in all I am glad I went on my own.  I have  realized I need to take charge of my own followup.  Proactive is good. 

Offline Ydh13

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Re: My one year nephrologist visit
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:44:59 PM »
This information was helpful. I would like to ask you how long after you donated did your creatinine levels return to normal? It has been 5months since I donated and my levels have not yet leveled off. I just recently had my levels checked by my primary care provider who has referred me to a nephrologist. My first concern is that I have a UTI which my primary care has not treated yet, so I am choosing to seek another provider. Secondly I just don't know how to bring my levels down or what I should do at this point. Wondering if you have any suggestions.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved