| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Recovering  (Read 5255 times)

Offline Kidney Bean

• Top 100 Poster!
Recovering
« on: July 23, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »
Hi everyone,
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers last week. My surgery was last Thursday, the 19th. I'm doing much better than I thought I would be! I will post later about my experience (the painkillers, even though I only took one today make my thoughts fuzzy), but I have a few questions. My stomach is gigantic. It feels stretched to it's limits and is very uncomfortable. I've been walking, though not as much yesterday because the third day after surgery is always the roughest. I haven't pooped yet, do you think that's part of the problem? I'm taking a stool softener before bed and drinking prune juice in the morning, but no luck so far. Any hints as to how to deflate the stomach, even a little? Other than that, everything seems normal. The soreness isn't even all that terrible. Oh, and a hint for anyone struggling with getting into and out of bed- I tied a belt to the footboard and use my arms to raise and lower myself. It works great! Thanks again for all the advice and support. I'll post more when I feel more coherent.

-Annie

Offline rspang

• Conversationalist
Re: Recovering
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 02:45:39 PM »
For the stomach the walking helps alot... I also propped myself up (with about 5 pillows )on the recliner or couch, but my stomach stayed big for a couple of weeks ( I also had a brace/ belt that velcroed around my stomach to help with the pressure and lower back pain... if you lay down that will kill your back.  Lots of water or juice to make everything flush out... Good luck to you...

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 03:21:22 PM »
     Yogurt can sometimes help to replace the helpful bacteria in the gut that may have been accidentally killed off by the anti-biotics, and that can help get digestion back to normal.
     I would suggest adding gentle bending and stretching excercises to your walking regimen. I found that streching out flat on my back on the flood and doing some mild stretching in that position seemed to help things shift back into place inside, although that may have just been my imagination.
   best wishes,
   Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:40:29 AM »
Dear Annie,

Its nice to hear you are recovering! 

Once you are able to move your bowels you will feel much better.  I used a glycerin suppository when nothing else was working.

Love, elephant

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »
My stomach was 'gigantic' for awhile and even though its been 5 mos,my stomach still bloats a lot easier than it did pre-dontation.
I agree with the rest of the posters, walk and drink a lot of water. The other thing I did which I believed helped get rid of the big belly is I wore some Spanx to put pressure on my stomach. I wore them religiously for the first 4 weeks after donation. It may be just in my mind but I really do think it helped.
I'm surprised they let you leave the hospital without pooping? I had to stay in an extra day in a half because I couldn't and they wouldn't let me leave until I did-unfortunately that included another round of magnesium citrate >:(

Offline Rinnierich

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I gave a doctor his life back.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 06:08:01 PM »
Try and get as much exercise as possible and try having some yogurt. The pain killers are such a bummer in the pooping department. I didn't go till 14 days post op and it was probably the most uncomfortable 14 days of my life. The bloating will last for a few months well at least it did for me (3 months was when it finally subsided). Best of luck and congrats on your successful donation!

Offline Kidney Bean

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 01:44:07 PM »
Thanks for all the advice! I think being off the Norco for 24hrs did the trick. And prune juice. Also, Rspang, thanks so much for the tip on the back brace! I finally bought one yesterday (I wish I had days ago!) and it really helped. I am not even taking tylenol now! I wasn't as sore after sleeping, either. I feel almost completely normal. Thanks!!

-Annie

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional