| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: UK: Why I wanted to donate a kidney to a complete stranger  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
UK: Why I wanted to donate a kidney to a complete stranger
« on: September 02, 2014, 02:48:16 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/11052842/Why-I-wanted-to-donate-a-kidney-to-a-complete-stranger.html

Why I wanted to donate a kidney to a complete stranger
By Anna Van Praagh

There has been a dramatic rise in kidney donations, thanks to altruists who give an organ so that a stranger might live. We hear the stories of three donors and the people they helped

When Claire Ramsden heard a man on the radio describing a humbling act of altruism, she found it so moving that it wasn't long before she was on the phone to the hospital to enquire about having the operation herself.
“I decided a few years ago not to have children,” says the 38-year-old psychologist from Preston, Lancashire, “and as part of reaching that conclusion, I thought, if I’m not going to create a life, why not try to save one? When I heard about kidney donation I thought, brilliant! This can be my contribution.”
The world may seem like an increasingly selfish place, but the announcement last week that there has been a dramatic rise in the number of altruistic kidney donors – people having a kidney removed and donating it to a complete stranger – was a moment of selfless good news.
Altruistic kidney donation has, in the past year, increased by 55 per cent, with 118 living people donating a kidney. The practice only became legal in 2006, and the following year only six procedures were recorded. Since then the numbers have risen exponentially.
Transplant experts believe that cases such as that of the 85-year-old woman who this year became Britain’s oldest living kidney donor – “Why do I need two kidneys to sit at home knitting and watching television?”, she asked – have inspired others to follow suit.

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved