| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donating 2/14...post op questions  (Read 15599 times)

APV

Re: Donating 2/14...post op questions
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 11:43:30 PM »
Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you today on your donation day.  I hope everything went well.  Take it easy the next few weeks.  Welcome to the Club! 

Angelica

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 09:13:31 PM »
Praying all went well and you are beginning to feel human again!  The first few days were hard on me and switching over to oral pain meds from the morphine pump was very interesting....I was quite loopy and that might be putting it mildly.  But by day 4 I was beginning to feel somewhat normal again.  Praying you are feeling good and are able to get up and walk to help the recovery get going.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline WillowTree

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »
Hope everything went well! Be great to hear an update

Offline PaulaHalvo

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
I've done great with my recovery as far as pain and movement go. My big problem is appetite. I know others have mentioned this. I've been trying to find threads about it. I can't eat more than about a quarter of a cup of food at a meal. I've lost ten pounds. Don't mind the weight loss, just would like to feel better.  This is not like me at all. I'm the only person I know who gained weight when I had cancer. So this really has taken me by surprise. How common is this? I'm not on the pain meds so it's not that. I have so much to be thankful for,I'm not complaining. Just wonder if anyone has any insight. Thanks.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 12:49:30 PM »
Paula,

First of all welcome to the club! I had the same issue with food after surgery and I am one never to lose my appetite. It took about 3 weeks for me to get my appetite back. I just felt full all the time and not hungry.I knew I needed to eat so I would eat very little bits at a time and also light food. My throat got a little irritated from dry food or something that was hard to chew, maybe because of the intubation. I coughed a lot the first ten days which killed my abdomen so I would hold a pillow there for support. I also lost weight and loved the number on the scale; a number I have not seen since and probably won't see till I reach old age and am a frail old woman! Most important make sure to drink. If you really feel like you need more nutrition you can try one of the Ensure types of drinks but you are probably ok to eat small portions and not worry about the eating. As long as you are feeling well, not having nausea, vomiting or diarrhea you should be ok. Some bowels take more time than others to move back into their routine. My body was certainly shocked.

Take care and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline PaulaHalvo

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 12:56:49 PM »
Thanks Sherri. I'll probably wish these days were back, once they are gone. I had worked hard to lose fifty pounds during 2011. It's so strange to see ten pounds just slide off like this!

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 04:13:46 PM »
Yeah, I had no appetite either, for the first week or two. It gradually came back and now, three weeks later, it's right where it was.

I lost about 8 lbs.  :)  That was a nice, unexpected benefit!

My recipient lost 24 lbs, but that was all kidney in his case.  :o

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 04:36:32 PM »
Congratulations on your successful surgery, it feels good to be on the other side, doesn't it?!?  I was very nauseous for 2 weeks - not just no appetite, but I felt very ill.  I too had gone off the pain meds quickly.  It turned out my body was not reabsorbing the CO2 like it should and the air was causing me to feel sick.  On day 15 I actually felt hungry for the first time.  I had a mini appetite for another couple weeks, it would have been nice if that stuck around!  I lost 14 pounds...yes, nice bonus but when it is too much too soon it never stays off (gained about 9 back so still got a 5 pound bonus.)

If you have nausea that is causing a lot of discomfort ask for some meds.  They gave me Zofran and it did help a little.

Good luck with recovery - take good care of yourself!
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Vicki2

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 08:09:26 AM »
Congratulations on your donation and recovery.  I donated on February 2 and still don't have a good appetite.  My belly still seems bloated so smaller more frequent meals work for me.  I rarely get "hungry" for something in particular, but am very fortunate that my husband has been a wonderful cook and caregiver tempting me with different foods I like.   My doctor said to eat whatever I wanted and not to worry about the appetite.  Just remember to go slow and not push yourself too hard.  Good Luck!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved