| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Non-directed Donor-just accepted  (Read 11795 times)

Offline Turnerjam

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: Non-directed Donor-just accepted
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 05:59:33 PM »
They are taking the left kidney.  Is their any difference in risk/complications associated with which kidney they take? 

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 09:46:10 PM »
     I'm not a medical professional but here are two things I have picked up from reading:
--- Although the exact anatomy of the blood vessels, etc. varies from person to person, it seems that it is easier to do the transplant using the left kidney because the vessels that have to be re-connected tend to be longer (and thus easier to work with) on the left kidney.
--- It appears that the danger of ill effects to the adrenal gland is less if the right kidney is removed.

This being said, the doctors have to look at YOUR anatomy (Ct scan, etc.) to see which might be better in YOUR case. Also if I am not mistaken: when there is a difference in size between your two kidneys they would choose to transplant the smaller kidney and leave you with the larger one.
    Hope this helps.
        Fr. Pat

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »
Pay bills early, rent some movies, get a few books and stock up on groceries and anything you will need at home for at least two weeks and TAKE YOUR TIME TO RECOVER.

You were 100% going in ... ensure that you recover 100% after. ;)

Offline shoopies

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »
I love reading your posts, because it's so similar to mine! I am non-directed and am donating June 19th, starting off a chain of 4 transplants (that's my understanding at this point, at least). Luckily my employer is also awesome with the short-term disability, and that makes things so much easier! Good luck with everything!

Offline Turnerjam

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2013, 12:01:24 PM »
I haven't been shy about setting up help!  Getting closer to the date, June 14th, I am feeling more peace and calm.  You would think it would be opposite, but I'm not.  I am putting on a fundraiser for my best friends mom, who as ovarian cancer June 8th, so maybe I just haven't had time to get nervous!  Also, finding more support from friends!  Once they figured I was going through the process regardless of what they thought, the jumped on the bandwagon!  Sometimes you have to have a "lead, follow, or get out of my way" attitude!   ;D

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 09:01:22 PM »
Do you know where your kidney is going? As I understand it, the NKR coordinates the surgery for the donor at their local hospital, and then airships the kidney to the recipient's hospital. This makes recovery better for the donor, being close to home and having family/friends to support them.

It's great to hear you're getting good responses from people around you. Good luck!
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Turnerjam

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 10:31:14 AM »
I had to ship blood samples to Mt Sinai in NYC, I know we are now supposed to know....but hard not to when you get shipping material and a prescription for blood draws with the hospital name on it!

Offline Turnerjam

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 06:42:12 AM »
Well surgery happened last Friday!  I'm still in the hospital due to may bladder retaining urine and noti "waking up". I have a transvaginal tape sling that holds my balder in a specifics position and we are hopefull that it didn't get interrupted during surgery!  Removing cath today to see if I get function back.  Also my creative levels look good at 1.37 this morning, however y WBC are up at 11.3.  Was chilling and had a low grade fever all night.  Anything imshould be concerned about?

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 11:06:40 AM »
Dear Turnerjam,

Welcome to the other side!  I am so happy to hear you are through surgery!

Don't leave until you are quite sure you are well enough. I suppose, though, its easy enough to pick up a bug in the hospital. 

Love, elephant

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 06:48:40 PM »
Congratulations!
  Fr. Pat

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2013, 02:24:54 PM »
 :) Take care - hope you have a speedy recovery (WAKE UP BLADDER!!)
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved