| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: I'm donating tomorrow  (Read 13763 times)

dlpisgiving

I'm donating tomorrow
« on: June 14, 2011, 07:44:02 AM »
Wednesday is the big day.  For me, I'm donating a part of my liver.  I'm nervous and ready to get this over with.  Please keep me and my recipient in your thoughts.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: I'm donating tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:22:59 AM »
Thoughts and prayers with you. Please let us know how you and your recipient are doing when you are well enough.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:20:02 AM »
Best wishes!  Do let us know how you and your recipient are doing during recovery, please.  May all be well!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 11:54:52 AM »
Saying prayers for you and see you on the other side of the surgery- please let us know how you're doing.  God Bless your giving soul!

Scott   8)
Scott

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 12:19:02 PM »
Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.  Just remember that you are not alone and you have so many people that are lifting you up in prayer as you are doing an a wonderful thing.  I donated my kidney last Thursday and these verses personally reassured me during the process.  God Bless you and can't wait to hear back from you when you are able... Lisa/twinkie

Philippians 4:6
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Deuteronomy 31:8
" The LORD is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed."

Isaiah 41:10

Do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God
I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,
Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand

dlpisgiving

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:52:51 PM »
Thank you all so much.  I will post Happy Updates when I can...

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 01:25:04 PM »
You're so awesome!  Please know we'll be thinking of you and holding you up, now, as well as after. We'll hold your hand while you recover. Thank you so much for your beautiful, giving heart!
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 10:06:06 PM »
I'm so proud of you for making it to this point.  I know how scared you've been, and I can completely relate to that.  As you know, I was terrified to donate a kidney, and I wrestled with that anxiety for many months before I donated.  I remember the day before surgery very clearly.  That day, I managed to stir up some peace within myself.  I slept in, played piano, sat at a lake near my house with my feet dangling in it, and spent time with loved ones.  Treat yourself today, and search for the peace that is within you.

It has been exactly 5 weeks since I donated my left kidney to my younger sister, and today I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the entire experience.  It is a truly incredible feeling, to give of yourself like this, to save a life.  I can't tell you how gratifying it is to see my sister in good health.  I am overwhelmed with emotion almost every day, it's beautiful.
In a strange way, I wish that I had another kidney to spare. 

I will be thinking of you and sending you peaceful thoughts.  I'm so happy for you and your recipient, and I just know that everything is going to work out great.  You are so very courageous.
My heart is with you tonight as you prepare to donate part of your liver tomorrow.  I will say lots of prayers for you and look forward to hearing back from you soon!!

Much love,

Sarah
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
Praying for you now...
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 04:12:33 AM »
An old hymn was such a blessing and comfort to me...so much so, that I was singing this as I went "under" for the surgery,

"He hideth my soul in the Cleft of the Rock
That shadows a dry, thirsty land..
He hideth my life in the depth of His love
and covers me there with HIS hand..
He covers me there with HIS hand."

The LORD is covering you in this surgery.....and you'll land safely on the other side of this surgery in a few hours....

Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 08:40:18 AM »
Best of luck to you today and to your recipient on your surgery. Please update afterward as soon as you are able. I am keeping you and your recipient in my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline llinton98

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 09:50:45 AM »
This quote really resonated with me as I prepared to donate my kidney last year:

True courage is not the absence of fear -- but the willingness to proceed in spite of it. 
(Anonymous)

Sending healing thoughts your way today.

Laura

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 11:33:14 AM »
That's a wonderful quote Laura, and resonates with me very, very much too.
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 12:45:50 PM »
Wishing you both the best today.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline llinton98

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 02:51:12 PM »
Thanks Sarah,

BTW, you reminded me of myself as you were getting ready to donate. I was really scared - oh my goodness.  I am so happy for you!!!!  Hope you are enjoying some of the post-donation elation and tremendous relief that I experienced.

Best,
Laura

dlpisgiving

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
Hi all,
I am doing pretty well. The pain is the most unfun part as well as the drainage tube.  I will be home on Monday if all continues to go well.  My recipient is also doing well.  I appreciate each and every post and hope to be of support to future donors so that no one has to be so afraid going forward.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional