| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Six month check up results  (Read 4932 times)

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
Six month check up results
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:56:52 PM »
How long does it take, assuming it does, for your remaining kidney to pick up the load.  I went in with a GFR of 105 and creatinine of 1.0.  Coming out of surgery my creatinine was 1.8.   At six months my labs show a GFR of 44, stage 3,  and creatinine of 1.6.  My doc wants to do labs again in three months and then again in another three months.  Her comment. This may be your new normal. Any thoughts?  I am 61.  Thanks.

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Six month check up results
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 05:06:28 PM »
I'm about a year out and I'm at .9 for creatinine...don't know if that's typical and I don't remember the progress to that point.

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:46:29 PM »
I donated when I was 56.   They checked my creatin every 6 months for the first two years.  It leveled out at 1.5.  They told me it would probably not get much lower.   I don't know what it is now.  Otherwise I feel fine.  61 now.

Oldnslow
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 01:28:33 AM »
Thanks for the benefit of your experience. I do recall my nephrologist said it could take as much as a year for the remaining kidney to pick up.  I feel ok except occasioanal fatigue, but what do you expect when working 6 days a week and some evenings too.  Thanks again.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 06:00:25 AM »
     My creatinine was still up at 1.8 a year after donation (at age 56). Took a couple of years more before it setttled down to 1.2 or 1.3, and was 1.16 a few months ago (11 years after donation). Along the way any doctor I saw for routine check-ups thought the numbers were "normal" for me and were not concerned. So, it might take a while.
      Fr. Pat

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 12:51:27 PM »
Donated when I was 44, now 54. I was 1.1 before and have been at every test since.  It's like it never happened except for the scars and the way I surprised a recent ultrasound scan tech doing an abdominal look see.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline alyfaye

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:23:08 PM »
I had very low creatinine before donation- so low that I had to do the 24 hour urine test three times because they thought I must be doing something wrong. At my 5 day checkup I was at 1.0, and was still at 1.0 after 6 months. It's been almost a year now so I'm curious to see where it is now. I was told that 1.0 could be my new normal, and I am 21.

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 12:26:30 AM »
Working those hours will cause fatigue.  I've proven that as well.   I believe I returned to work too early.   Did n't impact creatin, but I was sure tired and grumpy.

I have been trying to lose weight.   Don't know if that helps.   But in general, I feel better.

Oldnslow
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional