| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Shortness of breath  (Read 3419 times)

Offline gfields

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Shortness of breath
« on: November 01, 2015, 07:14:39 PM »
I donated a kidney about 25 years ago to my brother. Recently, I have been experiencing shortness of breath.

I was looking around the internet and I noticed that there is a relation between kidney donation and cardiovascular problems. Sometimes it is related to anemia.

I was wondering if other kidney donors have experienced shortness of breath.   Could this be related to the kidney donation?

Is anemia common with kidney donation? Is there something that could be used to fix this problem?

Thanks!

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Shortness of breath
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 07:47:55 AM »
Dear gfields,

I'd suggest that you make an appointment with your doctor.  That is the only way you will be properly evaluated for health issues.

It would be rather difficult to link an organ donation 25 years ago to trouble breathing.  Regardless, you should visit your doctor ASAP if you are feeling unwell.

Love, elephant

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Shortness of breath
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 03:45:15 AM »
I donated 13 years ago and have not had that problem. I'm about 70 now and still do distance running. We kidney donors do have a somewhat greater long-term risk of some health problems. As said above, best to have a doctor check it. Please let us know how things go.
    Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional