| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Questions about Time off  (Read 5083 times)

Offline kmheiges

• Top 200 Poster!
Questions about Time off
« on: September 08, 2012, 06:33:54 PM »
So I wasn't supposed to donate my kidney until December of this year. However, the recipient would benefit from getting the kidney sooner. So I was going to try and fit it into my college midterm break. so I have some questions.

1. How long after surgery do you think you could have gone back to school?
2. How many days after surgery did you switch to tylenol for pain, rather than a narcotic?
3. Is it unreasonable to think I could go back to school 1 week after surgery?
4. What would you do in my situation? Donate in October and hope that I am okay the next week? Or just wait until December and possibly have to donate to a non-directed donor rather than the one I am supposed to donate to.

The reason it would maybe switch to a different recipient is because if someone else is able to donate to him sooner, then they would have them donate instead. I really want to donate to this person, but I want your honest opinions about if I'm being unrealistic.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Questions about Time off
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 08:12:36 PM »
     Since each donor heals differently, nobody can assure you in advance as to exactly when YOU would be able to return to school. SOME donors (like myself) healed well and quickly enough to be able to do that, others not. Things to keep in mind:
---SOME donors do suffer complications which can sriously delay getting back to normal.
---Fatigue is a problem for most donors for at least several weeks. So if you are able to get back to classes quickly keep in mind that you may be troubled with fatigue and not be mentally sharp for a couple of weeks. It can take a week or two for the effects of the anesthesia to fully wear off.
---Sometimes scheduled donation surgeries are postponed. If an emergency situation arises (e.g. major car accident) the operating rooms will be re-scheduled for the emergency surgeries and all other postponable surgeries rescheduled. Also if you or the recipient become ill or get a fever the surgery may be delayed. You can't be SURE that the surgery will take place on the scheduled day.

I myself switched to Tylenol upon leaving the hospital on the third day. Others have felt the need to stay on prescription pain meds for a longer time.

All in all, it is wise, if posible, to have a back-up plan in place in case the scheduled surgery is delayed and in case healing is slower than expected.
       best wishes,
           Fr. Pat

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 11:54:30 PM »
Even if you are in the best physical condition a person can be, I don't think a week is enough time to heal before resuming classes.  Even if someone is doing everything for you at your residence, taking you to school, carrying all your books to each class and taking you home again. You will be exhausted and the sedation will mess with you for about a month.

This is no walk in the park surgery, it is major surgery.  Maybe a month to resume classes, but if you do too much to soon you could have complications in the incision area.  It takes 3 weeks for your body to even start to heal.  Your internal organs are all moved around some to remove the kidney which is also excised out from all its protective tissues.  You are blown up with gas which has to be absorbed by your body and expelled through your blood, adding to your recovery.  You will be bloated for several weeks if not a month, part of the healing process.

After I was off the hospital drugs I was just on Tylenol, that is what they sent me home with.  I really could have used something stronger at least at night for a couple of weeks to get a good nights rest.

My sleep pattern was really messed up for about 3 months.  I didn't sleep during the day on purpose, and then was lucky to get more than 3 hours a night sleep, really.  I went back to work at 6 weeks to a fairly physical job and it was tough for that first month.  My pcp wasn't to helpful, nothing to help me sleep, neither was the neuphologist in after care.  Both just said, no tv or computer and hour before bed, if you can't sleep get up and read, warm milk, go back to bed when you are tired again. I bought a couple of books on insomnia, which was about the same as they said plus a few other helpful things.  It finally straightened out and I do use some of the methods yet to this day.

I would still do the donation, even with the bumps along the way.  I wasn't in the best physical condition which didn't help, I am now!  I dropped 25 lbs on purpose after surgery and exercise daily now. I am 5'4" 123 lbs currently.  Maybe that is why I had some difficulties with recovery, maybe not.  I eat very healthy now, limit salt to about 1000 mgs a day and drink at least 2 qts of purified water a day.

Really wait until Dec. even if you donate to someone else, don't be pressured by the recipient to move it up.  You are already giving up a lot, don't give up time on your education.   
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline kmheiges

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 12:04:22 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies. I actually talked to the recipient tonight and he said that they would want to work around my school schedule. So it's going to be in December so that I have the entire month of January to recover.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 08:28:10 AM »
glad to hear you are having this surgery with enough time to heal. I don't think recipients get an accurate picture of what a donation surgery is like. The doctors often describe it as minimally invasive, go home after 2 days and no cost to the donor. I think recipients and the doctors sort of minimize it because it makes them feel less uncomfortable about removing a perfectly functioning organ from a healthy person. Recipients are desperate for a living organ because all the doctors keep telling them is how horrible life on dialysis can be, how long the list is for a deceased donation and how a living organ will last longer. The surgeons have to justify the surgery and come to terms with "do no harm" so it has to be minimally invasive and not so bad. I haven't seen too many transplant surgeons volunteering to have their kidneys removed! We really need to be more transparent about the complications and the healing process so people can make an informed decision.

Hope everything works out well and you get back to school in time for your next semester. Enjoy the time off and be good to yourself as you recover.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline sandypandy

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 07:18:16 AM »
Hi everyone is different i returned to work after 2weeks
but i work for family and just sat at the office desk for an hour and did paper work (i do the accounts)  but that was enough i was wiped out..... i thought i could be super human and do more.... it sure did shock me cos at home i felt fine sitting around so i thought i would sit around at work but it was really tiring, so i just did an hour a day.  i didnt go back properly until week 4 but even then i was still tired i think it took me a good 6-8 weeks until i felt like myself again and did heavier work
good luck xx
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 07:20:08 AM by sandypandy »

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional