| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donating a kidney April 26th UMMC  (Read 7049 times)

Offline baltizer

• Top 200 Poster!
Donating a kidney April 26th UMMC
« on: April 10, 2012, 06:11:41 PM »
On April 26th I will be donating a kidney to my dear friend at UMMC, the message boards have been a wonderful tool to prepare for this upcoming adventure; any helpful advice is certainly welcomed. Thanks

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Donating a kidney April 26th UMMC
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:07:34 PM »
Best wishes and prayers for your surgeries. You have probably already seen them by now, but just in case: helpful tips for the hospital experience at:
www.kidney.org/transplantation/livingdonors/infotips.cfm
   Fr. Pat

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 08:01:53 PM »
Start enjoying prunes now, do some abdominal stretches and eat a healthy diet. 

Take instant head pads to the hospital (thermacare)

Are you local to Baltimore or will you be at a hoteL?
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline baltizer

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 08:25:02 PM »
We live in Saint Marys County, will be staying in a hotel the night before. I purchased prunes for after surgery, but I should start now,huh?
Have been trying to hit the gym pretty regularly.

Offline cupid

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 08:30:01 PM »
Baltizer-Congratulations on your upcoming donation! I'm sure your friend is so grateful and appreciative.
I don't know about prunes but I definitely do recommend that you take stool softener starting 5 days prior to surgery and continue for a few days after. Constipation is a big problem due to the pain meds. Also, your own pillow and pj's in the hospital will make you more comfortable.
I wish you the best and a speedy recovery
Lauri

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 01:19:47 AM »
I am on the University of Maryland campus almost every day. If you'd like a visitor email me and let me know. Would love to welcome you to the club. Good luck with your surgery. Who is doing your surgery?

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:35:52 AM »
I didn't do anything prior to surgery regarding constipation and I had no problems, really. But I wasn't in the hospital long and I stopped the pain meds pretty quickly.

Don't forget your lip balm and big, huge baggy pants.  Good luck.  :)

Hope your recovery is speedy.

Offline baltizer

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 12:57:23 PM »
 Sherri- I would like that, Thanks. I'll PM you. My friends surgeon is Bromberg and mine are LaMattina and Barth. Thanks for all the helpful advice so far, definitely taking everything under advisement. It sure is wonderful to hear from people who have been thru it.

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »
I think a prune a day will pay off.  Your bowels will not work for two-three days post surgery and everything just lingers until then.  I think both Baltimore centers have a 24 hour clear liquid diet.  That really helped with my nausea, which was managed by closing my eyes. 

I also recommend a presurgery massage.

Sherri visited me and. I enjoyed it!
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »
Just came back from visiting Barbara at University of Maryland. She is doing really well. We took a short walk together to see her recipient. Both patients are doing well. Always nice to connect with fellow LDO people.

Way to go Barbara. Welcome to the club.

All the best,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline baltizer

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 12:38:09 PM »
Quick update A week out today, feeling pretty good. Able to sleep on my side now which is great. Thanks to everyone for their helpful advice and a special shout out to Sherri for the visit, Thanks!

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 02:33:26 PM »
Congratulations!  You must be doing great if you are already sleeping on your side.  That's great news!!
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved