| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: My April 24th surgery went well  (Read 7342 times)

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
My April 24th surgery went well
« on: April 28, 2012, 04:30:37 PM »
Hi everyone.  I wanted to check in and let you know that me and dad are doing well after I donated my kidney to him on Tuesday at Pinnacle Health in Harrisburg, PA.  I came home on Thursday afternoon.  I was not at all nervous going into surgery, I believe that is due to all the support and information I received from this wonderful group!  Since then, I've been feeling nauseous and emotional, but today is a better day.  Been walking and drinking water as instructed.  But still sleeping most of the time.  Yesterday (3rd day post op) was probably the worst, and I hope I am on the upswing now. 

Dad is doing well.  The kidney is a little slow and his bp is low, so they have to be careful about pushing too many fluids.  He is still in the ICU and received what they called "a little" dialysis yesterday.  But he did walk around a bit already.  They do not expect to have to give him any more dialysis treatments and he is expected to come home Tuesday or Wednesday.  They also expect that he will no longer need insulin and his diabetic symptoms will improve due to the transplant.  yay!  It will be happy day when we can get together and have some fun again.

I also wanted to say that I believe Dr. Narins and Dr. Yang at Pinnacle did an amazing job.  The entire transplant team was there for me every step of the way.  Dawn, my social worker, made sure my head was on straight before I went home, and my coordinator Jeri continues to call me at home to check up on me.
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: My April 24th surgery went well
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »
Stephanie,

I'm so happy for you and your Dad. Long journey but glad you made it to the other side. Welcome to the club. sounds like you are having a very "normal"recuperation. Give yourself time to heal.

All the best,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 07:08:29 AM »
Congratulations! Best wishes to you and your dad for a speedy recovery. 

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 07:43:18 AM »
Dear MissFrizz,

I am happy to hear you and your Dad are  both doing well. 

I slept as much 12-16 hours a day for the first two weeks. 

love, elephant

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 07:49:35 AM »
Congratulations to you both! Take good care of yourself now.
   Fr. Pat

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:52:30 AM »
Very glad to hear that the surgical experience is now in the rear view window.  Now you can sit back and bask in the glow of changing a loved one's life for the better.  Rest, but walk and climb stairs when you can.  Speedy recovery to both of you!

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 04:24:10 AM »
Dear MissFrizz,
  Congratulations! Remember to be careful of lifting and bumpy roads.  Feel good! Snoopy

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 02:30:38 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I am starting to feel human again.  Dad will be home soon.
Stephanie

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »
Stephanie,

I am glad you surgery went so well.  Now, if only your endurance / energy reserve & sleep recover, too ...!  ;)

Please keep us informed about your Dad, too.

Bill
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: My April 24th surgery went well + update
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 09:24:55 AM »
Dad was moved from the hospital on Friday into a rehab facility for a little physical therapy.  I have not been able to visit since I left the hospital, as it is a 2 hour drive.  But, I hope to get there next weekend.  He was being very careful not to induce any foot sores in the 4.5 months it took to prepare for the surgery, so he needs a little help gaining the strength to walk more than a few steps.  I am glad he is in a facility that is keeping him busy now.  I think it must have been hard to sit in a hospital room far from home for 10 days with few visitors.

The kidney is working, he is not on dialysis, and any diabetic-related symptoms (like those foot sores) are not going to be so dramatic now!  I can't wait to see him up and around soon. 
Stephanie

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 04:55:55 PM »
THanks for the good update!   May the healing continue!

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 09:26:28 PM »
Congratulations Stephanie!

I am hoping you and your Dad are continuing to do well!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved