| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: My third step this week  (Read 8217 times)

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
My third step this week
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:00:46 PM »
This week I get to have my ct angiogram and  a one hour visit with the Nephrologist.  What kinds of things should I be asking?  Hopefully he or she doesn't scare my poor wife with all the risks. 
I got a copy of all my tests.  All seems really good.  The eGFR only says >60.  It doesn't give a specific number.  Should I ask about that?  Assuming I have two kidneys, it seems I am getting close to going into the National Kidney Register as an anonmymous donor. I'm really excited about the possibility of starting a chain!

Offline boogerj

• Conversationalist
Re: My third step this week
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 01:36:52 PM »
Cool!  I'm having my final tests done on Thursday this week.  If you are curious about your numbers, be sure to ask.  I got my number last week as I was curious, and it was great.  Good luck with your last tests & visit!

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:58:58 AM »
Thanks.  I wish you well and let us know how things proceed.  Wednesday are my appts.

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 05:19:44 PM »
Met with the nephrologist today.  Answered our questions.  Said she was satisfied with all my results.  My GFR was 105 at this point.  She said it will of course go down but the one kidney will in time compensate somewhat for the loss.  Also had the CT angiogram that they will have to read.  But all in all, it sounds like a go.  UCSF does about 350 kidney transplants a year with almost half coming from living donors.  She then asked if I wanted to go ahead.  I told her yes.  Getting closer to this being more than a topic for conversation. My evaluation done  :)

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 07:34:25 AM »
Dear Giants,

That is very good news.  It's nice to know your health is excellent. 

My surgeon gave me a guided tour of my kidney scan.  That was interesting.

love, elephant

Offline treehugger

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 07:55:18 PM »
Congrats on the continuing progress. Enjoy the process; I found it fascinating even when it moved slowly (and truthfully, I was so well mentally prepared for it to take ages, that it went much faster than I was expecting). I donated at UCSF. Ward 9 Long is a wonderful place to recover from surgery. :)

Kara
Donated left kidney to my husband via paired exchange on 12/17/09.

Offline audrey12

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 10:59:24 AM »
Hey Giants, I'm a SF Giants season ticket holder  :D

If you would like a transplant buddy please shoot me a message and we can get together.  My husband was with me every step of the way.  We'd be happy to meet with you and your wife (at the ballpark?) and you can ask us any questions you like!
audrey

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 11:42:34 PM »
Monday, the transplant team meets and decides on approval and any other recommendations.  So I am told to expect to hear on Monday or Tuesday from the coordinator.  She really has made this process quite seamless. :)  God willing, we will then proceed with NKR. 

Offline boogerj

• Conversationalist
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 01:35:06 PM »
I had my eval on Thursday last week and all was well except that they found trace blood in my urine samples.  They meet today and I'll get the findings later today.  Everything else looks great, so this was a surprise, but I guess that is what the process is for.

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 05:50:49 PM »
I just got my approval to be a donor.  Now to the registry. This is getting serious.  By the way I did have to repeat one test along the way so see it through. 

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 07:46:23 PM »
Congratulations! That's an important milestone.
     Fr. Pat

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 03:05:25 PM »
Congratulations on the approval.  A big step, indeed.
    Good luck, Snoopy

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 09:22:46 PM »
Congratulations! That is such fantastic news! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved