| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: I can't get comfortable  (Read 7635 times)

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
I can't get comfortable
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:58:43 AM »
Hi, I am 1 week post op.  Feeling pretty good.  My only complaint is that I am not used to sleeping on my back and I am having a hard time sleeping comfortably.  I've been walking, but I think the inactivity otherwise is starting to get to me. 

Okay... I'll stop dancing around the issue... my butt hurts.   :-[

Any suggestions for lying comfortably?
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline alyfaye

• Top 50 poster!
Re: I can't get comfortable
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 04:10:30 AM »
I used pillows to prop myself up on my side (opposite of the one my kidney was removed from). I just used two fluffy pillows behind my back, two behind my butt and one to hold against my belly, as it was still swollen and it felt like my guts would fall out if I laid all the way on one side. Propping myself up to one side was a nice change for my aching back, though I prefer my stomach. I am 4.5 weeks out and still cannot lay comfortably on my stomach.

I also found that letting myself get really tired and shortening/skipping the daytime nap would help me forget about being on my back and fall asleep easily at night. I know some people have a hard time sleeping when they get over tired or over worked. It worked for me though.

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:47:39 AM »
I will try pillow propping to one side tonight.  I feel so much strain where my hips and tailbone are, I think if I could get some pressure off them, I'd be better. 

Thank you!
Stephanie

Offline midwestgal

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 10:16:55 AM »
I had the same problem!
My butt hurt from sitting too much, yet I was too pooped to keep moving around.
I alternated between sitting & laying on the couch, moving around, repeating the cycle all day long,
yet nothing seemed to give me much relief for very long.  (frustrating!)

Time will improve this.

I was sceptical, but walking really did help me.
On top of the physical benifits, I felt a since of accomplishment afterward:)

I am 4 weeks post & it seems like this recovery is a constant trade-off.
One thing starts feeling better and something else starts to hurt.

Still sleeping on my back and a little propped up to sleep.
Laying on my side is not very comfortable & I haven't dared try to lay on my stomach yet.
(I am normally a stomach sleeper)

I used to put pillows under my knees or layed my legs to the side w/a pillow between them.
Both helped for a bit. 

Good luck!!
I hope you find comfort soon!!!!!

Offline gbug12001

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 08:26:12 AM »
My donation was 2 weeks ago.  I feel your pain.  Last night I was laying on the floor with my legs elevated over a laundry basket.   The past couple of days I think I may have been over doing it.  My knees feel swollen and throb.  UGG  I'm going to change my routine a bit to see if that helps...  I've been walking 1 to 2 miles a day its killing me not to be able to exercise.... can't wait to go for a run...

I think I need to take little rests between activities... who would have thought going for a walk then doing dishes and folding one load of laundry could wear a person out. 

Is was worth it and I new this was going to be the hardest part for me.

Good luck all.

Jacqui

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 10:33:14 AM »
I don't think the doctors and nurses prepare you enough for this surgery. The big emphasis is on how easy, non invasive and quick stay in the hospital. They forget to tell you that you had real surgery with real anaesthesia and a real abdominal organ removed. I have seen many patients who have had hysterectomies and the doctors stress taking off 6 weeks from work, no lifting over 10 lbs and taking it easy. I think nephrectomies are similar to that recuperation.

I also had a "to do" list while recuperating and realized early on to list maybe two errands at a time and then stop, rest and maybe one other thing to do in the afternoon. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help. If I went to the grocery store,  I had someone load the packages (even if they were light) and had my kids unload them when they came home. Enjoy the down time, catch up on reading, movies, just walking around outside and enjoying the weather for pleasure not for heavy exercise. I actually enjoyed the down time and was ready to go back to work when the time came.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »
Thanks everyone.  It takes longer than we want it to.  You don't realize how much rest you need until the moment your body demands to do nothing but lay down.

Stephanie

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 06:20:51 PM »
For me, the first few days were the hardest, after that it got better quickly. Hang in there.  You will get more comfortable.

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 02:05:18 PM »
Stephanie,

Looks like all the tips for better sleep have covered everything.   :)  Nothing to add.

My own lack of endurance and energy for a few days post-op was surprising, even astonishing, for me.  My surgeon had told me I would, but, being a typical MD myself, I did not believe him.  I did heavy aerobic exercise for 1 hour daily for years, after all.  But, post-op, I was WIPED OUT!  ???

As far as I know, no-one has done good medical research about the causes of the typical loss of energy & endurance post-op, and what might be done to counteract it.  I wish such research be done.

Meanwhile, I hope you get back to normal SOON!   8)

Bill

Bill
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 09:17:13 AM »
Thank you, Bill.

I am able to lay a bit to 1 side now.  So, I've developed a system of subtle re-adjustments that seem to keep the aches and pains away throughout the night.  lol.   

Feeling better now, Tuesday will be 2 weeks! 
Stephanie

Offline Manazefa

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 04:35:09 PM »
Two months out and finally. Little more comfortable at night.  I agree, exhaustion hits and it's done.  It's like...sit down or fall down.  Still have pain in my right side and back, waxes and wanes.  Walking is good.  Would love the pain to go away.  Thought I had it figured out, related to overdoing, until I had a flare after being very careful.  Still asking questions of my surgeon, who I really appreciate.  Much slower recovery than I expected.  Much.  But still better today than last month, and today is a really good day.  Hang in there.  It was suggested that I start graphing to get the overall picture...graph pain, activity level, hours of sleep, etc.  just getting it set up.  Sounds like a good idea to keep the big picture in mind. 

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  1 month out and I am much more comfortable.  I am just so thrilled to be able to change positions.  But, yes, my body definitely demands rest at times.
Stephanie

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional