| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: my sister  (Read 7020 times)

Offline Donna Luebke

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner/kidney donor
my sister
« on: August 25, 2012, 12:33:22 PM »
Clark

Your monthly posting of donation anniversaries is much appreciated.  Yes, some of us are grieving a loss as you know.  It has been over 6 months since my sister and recipient, Rita passed away.  Last September, she spent a month in ICU. She was able to come home and made it almost 5 months.  The kidney and liver were fine until those last days due to heart and lung issues.  Basically, refractory pulmonary hypertension.  As I traveled this live donor advocacy journey, my sister was my support and advocate.  I miss her every day.  As donors, we know our recipients are not the healthiest people.  Great to hear or read the stories of organs that have lasted 30 or more years.  I am grateful for the years we had with Rita. 

I am sad for those donors whose outcome was not as expected.  I am grateful for those who I have met here and on the road.  For many, forums like this are the only source of support (thank you Michael.)  Best to all.

Donna
Kidney donor, 1994    Independent donor advocate
MSN,  Adult Nurse Practitioner
2003-2006:  OPTN/UNOS Board of Directors, Ad Hoc Living Donor Committee, Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organs Committee, OPTN Working Group 2 on Living Donation
2006-2012:  Lifebanc Board of Directors

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: my sister
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 09:04:36 PM »
Donna,

I am so sorry for your loss. A sister bond is so very special and just from reading your thoughts about Rita and the close relationship you shared, I know you two were connected even beyond the kidney. I hope the wonderful memories you have of her will be a comfort to you.

All the best,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Catherine C

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 01:33:04 AM »
Donna,
I haven't talked to for awhile.  I am so sorry to read about your sister.  It must be painful.  Thinking of you!
Catherine Cullen
Catherine-Donated Kidney to mother Jan.2001 Univ. of CO

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 01:57:29 AM »
Hi Donna,
Sisters are special. Sending you {{hugs}}
All the best,
Karol

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 05:31:47 AM by Karol »
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 07:38:41 AM »
I am so sorry for your loss, Donna. May the good memories sustain you through the difficult times.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Barbara S

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 09:27:54 AM »
I too have not been very active lately, and am so sorry to hear of the loss of your sister.
I do know what a special bond it is.  May you find strength in knowing that even though she is gone, you will always have your memories to remember forever.
Proud Kidney Donor to Brother
December 9, 2003
at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 09:24:19 PM »
Donna, I am sorry for your the loss of your sister.  Sisters are like moms, you will always miss them a bit more than other close losses.  Each day it gets a bit easier, then bam out of no where, you cry and have such s sense of loss again, that is ok, you loved them and miss them.  It is just that those episodes get a bit further apart.  It does get better. 
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 08:42:23 PM »
Donna,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know this has been a difficult time for you.

Thank you for your kind words about LDO. We try to make this a safe place for anyone and everyone to ask questions, share experiences candidly, and work to make things better. At this difficult time, I hope you'll be comforted knowing you're an important part of all of that.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 01:40:50 PM »
Donna,

Thank you for sharing your feelings with us.

We hope for the best when we donate an organ, even hope that our recipient and the now her/his organ outlives us.  Even when the recipient is someone we had not known, we form a special bond.

May your memories of Rita, and the memories of Jack (the second kidney donor to Rita whom you describe in your LDO Hall of Fame story about Rita), be a blessing to you and to your family.

Bill
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:43:55 PM by WilliamLFreeman »
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 02:31:29 PM »
Dear Donna,

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your beloved sister. 

I'm also glad to be a member here, this is indeed a special group of people!

Love, elephant

Offline Donna Luebke

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner/kidney donor
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 10:50:20 AM »
Thanks to all of you for your kind words. 
Donna
Kidney donor, 1994    Independent donor advocate
MSN,  Adult Nurse Practitioner
2003-2006:  OPTN/UNOS Board of Directors, Ad Hoc Living Donor Committee, Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organs Committee, OPTN Working Group 2 on Living Donation
2006-2012:  Lifebanc Board of Directors

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 05:44:50 PM »
Donna,

I have not been on the board for a while, so I am just seeing your message now. I know this is late, but I just wanted to send you my condolences on the loss of your sister. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,
Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved