| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 5 years and healthy  (Read 7079 times)

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
5 years and healthy
« on: December 08, 2013, 12:33:10 PM »
It's been five years since I donated a kidney to my brother at Clarion in Indianapolis.    Both of us are doing well.   He takes almost the absolute minimum of anti-rejection drugs and his health really is quite amazing.   I feel great, don't take any meds, and over the last 1 1/2 years have been able to shed almost 40 lbs.  Have added gym workouts (elliptical and strength training) to the dojo over the last 6 months - have finally seen that assymetric muscle condition where the incision was disappear.   May be superficial to health, but it feels like an accomplishment.

It's funny.  On the eve of the anniversary our family's spent the evening watching our two teams, MSU and OSU, battle it out for the Big 10 championship.   Well, his team won.     But in the end we both won - I know he has no choice but to have that Scarlet and Gray kidney keep him going!

If you're reading this and getting ready to donate, or have recently donated, I can tell you that I have no regrets in giving my kidney to my brother.    By doing this, his life has continued with much better health, and my life was blessed knowing that I could help.      He takes great care of his health, and for that I'm thankful.    Once you give the gift, it is out of your hands.   It doesn't always go the way you anticipate.   I've been fortunate, that for us and our families, it has gone as well I think as it could.

Sure appreciate the LDO community.   It's always provided excellent support and information to me both before the donation and after.

Cheers
Oldnslow
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline kdub

• Top 50 poster!
Re: 5 years and healthy
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »
Congratulations oldnslow!  So glad that you and your brother are doing great!

kdub

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 01:14:18 PM »
So great to hear things are well with you and your family. The success stories are always encouraging. So wonderful that your brother appreciates and treasures your gift by taking care of his own health and that you have been motivated to make healthy changes as well.

Wishing you continued good health.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 03:32:18 PM »
Thanks All!  It's cold up here just like it was 5 years ago too.   

Oldnslow
Oldnslow

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:39:29 AM »
Thanks for the follow-up -- & good to learn the great news!

You mentioned "asymmetry."   What was thst?  What kind of nephrectomy did you have?  (Whatever it was, glad your exercise has largely solved it.  :)  )

I wonder if I should change my moniker to "oldernslower" -- not in comparison to you, just on comparison to myself! ;)

Bill
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 08:51:36 AM »
Congratulations to you both on your 5th Anniversary! Sounds like you had a great time celebrating!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »
Happy 5th!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 12:32:32 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 08:48:11 AM »
Thanks all!   

Bill - the kidney was removed from the side (front).  I had about a 4 inch incision on the left side.   Also about four circular incisions where I guess they put optics.   The incision cuts muscle in the side (my assumption).   When I healed, the area where the incision was located always extended.  So yeah, a flanking bulge.    I call it an asymmetry when considered to my right side.   The exercise that I think is helping is on a life fitness machine that is a lateral twist.  The machine keeps your upper body stable but your lower body twists anywhere from 30 to 60 degrees for the left and then right.   I've worked up from a 20 lb weight resistance in June to a 100 lb resistance.   I'm doing others as well and they all help but this one seems to focus on that area.

Oldernslower.....ha!   But you have to take up karate too!
Oldnslow

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 11:11:02 AM »
Dear oldnslow,

I am excited to hear your story and am glad you are working out and eating right.  Hooray!
Many years of health and happiness to you and your brother.

Love, elephant

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 01:15:22 PM »
Elephant - Christmas party this weekend...so, a break from diet.   But a break for steak I will gladly accommodate.  Then tomorrow it is back on the machines.
Oldnslow

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »
Dear "Oldnslow",
       Before the "Year of the Snake" ends and the "Year of the Horse" begins I wanted to catch up on long-delayed "Happy Kidney-versary!" wishes. !5 years! Great!
   Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved