| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: physical activity after donating  (Read 8456 times)

mxprincess

physical activity after donating
« on: August 15, 2011, 06:19:05 AM »
I have talked to two living donors on the phone they each told me differently about what type of physical activity is allowed after recovering. One was told by the surgeons that she had to give up ice skating (which she did), the other told me that she went skiing 4 weeks after her surgery.

I race motocross (quads) and already have decided that if I am the one that is the "picked" that I will sell all my stuff and will never race again; however, since I am extremely athletic, I will have to pick up another sport to fill that void.

What has everyone on here been told?

Sorry for all the questions - I just love to research and be prepared.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: physical activity after donating
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 07:44:55 AM »
While your activity may be limited for a while during your recovery period, barring complications, you should ultimately be able to continue any activity you did prior to the surgery. We have had multiple members on here who particpate in a variety of sports, including a young man who was a hockey player. Even recipients (think Alonzo Mourning with basketball) participate in sports such as marathons, mountain climbing, bike racing etc. The only change may be that you may want to discuss additional protection for your remaining kidney with the doctor. One thing I did find different was that I needed to watch hydration a little closer- just needed to be conscious of drinking more water during intense physical activity. For some reason, it seemed like I would become dehydrated easier post surgery.

The motocross sounds like fun! Don't worry about giving it up!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:52:33 PM »
     After donating one kidney, the remaining kidney is in no greater danger of damage in sports than it was previously. BUT since you now have only one, it would be extremely serious if that one were damaged. So some doctors may be more cautious in recommending avoidance of activities that might result in damage to the remaining kidney. One way to evaluate the safety of any sport for kidney donors might be to do some research and see just how many participants in that sport have suffered damage or destruction to one kidney in an accident in that sport. For example, if one is a sky-diver one might ask just how many sky-divers have had accidents where they survived but suffered the loss or damage of one kidney?  In motorcross (quads) how many accidents result in the damage or loss of one kidney? Then it is up to the individual to decide how much caution to use.
     best wishes,
         Fr. Pat

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:19:46 PM »
I think we all would agree, once you're post-op, it's perhaps most important to listen to your body.  No one has a better read on what you can tolerate than you.  Although there may be rationale for caution relating to donors post-op, I think for both physical well-being and perhaps especially for their emotional health, donors should become directly engaged in managing their health, fitness and over-all well being.  I think this includes getting back to normal by doing as much of what you did pre-op, post-op.  Don't worry - BE HAPPY and listen to your body.  Be smart about it and be informed.  Best of luck to you! 

Scott   8)
Scott

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 04:32:55 AM »
I recall being told that, after I donate, I should not engage in martial arts (no problem for me there), and not go back into the army reserves, which I was considering doing.
   Be well, Snoopy

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
Now, you have one kidney...
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 01:16:15 AM »
Take care of it....every day...all the time...
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 06:53:18 PM »
Well said Phil, you cannot put a high enough value on your health.  It needs to be taken care of every day.  Might be a big change in the beginning, trust me I know, but it does begin to be a normal daily activity after awhile and you wonder how did you take it for granted in the past.

Nothing wrong with plenty of sleep, eating good wholesome foods in moderation, haha, and excercise.  Enjoy life, but use common sense as well.

I someday would like to go white water rafting the Colorado River. Better get it done sooner than later, haha.  Have to wait for retirement for that trip, but in the mean time, I will stay in the best shape and health that I can one day at a time.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline stevewin@windstream.net

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 10:51:01 PM »
dodger and the others all have good points! i was told no contact sports,boxing, etc.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 12:09:01 PM »
I would really encourage anyone out there to thoroughly discuss this issue with their team and physician. Unless there is truly a valid reason, other than just one kidney, you should not have to give up something you love to do. There are many, many people out there with one kidney (for various reasons not just donation) that are involved in sports and other physical activities. There is the 12 year old son of one my co-workers who is active in soccer, baseball and football. He was born with one kidney. He is fine to participate, but they have extra protection in place over the remaining kidney for football. There is a young woman I met with a heart transplant who has climbed Mt. Everest! There are a number of people on here who have been and currently are active with martial arts. A woman I work with had a husband who lost a kidney to cancer about eight years ago - he is active in dirt bike racing.

There are risks in every sport and activity - whether you have one kidney or two. In some instances, the number of kidneys you have is almost immaterial when you think of death, paralysis and other dire consequences of participatiing in various sports. Don't sell yourself short on living life because of one kidney!  Know your risks, discuss your options and make your decision accordingly.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 10:53:52 PM »
Great points - I will downhill ski again, without a great worry about having only one kidney.  I won't participate in wolf-slapping though, that's stupid whether you have one or two kidneys :)    Quality of life is perhaps even more important than quantity, as evidenced by most all of us who have donated.  Pursue the things you love.  Love the things you do well.  And, always strive to be your best, in all ways!   Good luck

Scott   :)
Scott

mxprincess

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 05:36:47 AM »
Thanks everyone for the comments! I have already decided that IF I am the candidate, I will stop racing motocross. I will probably just pick up running again.

donorgirl

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »
I gave a list of activities to my surgeon and he only visibly winced when I told him I was a martial artist.  While in 37 years I never took a brutal hit to a kidney, I now could not risk it happening.  It doesn't mean I had to give up martial arts, just sparring...especially heavy sparring.  I still scuba dive, bike, hike, water ski, etc.  I agree with the others.  Be smart and weigh the risks. 

Best of luck and I'll keep you in my prayers.

Lee  (donated July 2007)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved