| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Considering Live Kidney Donation  (Read 5366 times)

Offline murgie

• Conversationalist
Considering Live Kidney Donation
« on: January 09, 2013, 01:18:19 AM »
I am considering donating a kidney to someone I know, I have little reservations for myself and this decision, but I am concerned for future health costs as I am on medi-cal, and have a $500 monthly deductable. My son has cystic fibrosis so we are low income to have his insurance covered. I am 56 and in great health right now, could this surgery compromise my health? My child is 15 and I am his primary caregiver for his health issues, type 1 diabetes and CF. He may need a lung transplant someday, and it would never be mine, so I would like to be proactive to demonstrate to our family and community that being a live donor is not only a life changing experience, its a life sustaining one. I would love to hear from other donors, I am starting a list of questions but really don't know much about the process. I have suggested that we have the blood work done and then determine if I am even compatable. What suggestions can you share.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Considering Live Kidney Donation
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 06:42:29 PM »
Dear "Murgie",
     As you keep reading up about living kidney donation (including the past posts at this forum and at the "living donation in the news" section) you will see that living kidney donation is pretty safe, and it is reasonable to expect a full recovery. However, you will also see that SOME living donors have had serious short-term or long-term medical complications, and there have been some deaths in donation surgery. It is MAJOR SURGERY, so there is always the possibility of something going wrong. So although the risk appears to be statisticaly small it does have to be taken into consideration. So it would be wise to read up extensively before making a decision.
     Two other things to keep in mind:
--- A LOT can be done to help those in need of transplants by promoting after-death organ donation. There are still many people who have not signed permission for after-death donation, often because they are not really well aware of the need. So even if you decide to not donate at this time, you can do much to help in other ways. The National Kidney Foundation (www.kidney.org) is one group that promotes organ donation awareness.
--- if you do decide to donate, you need not necessarily be a "match" for your intended donor. Groups such as www.kidneyregistry.org maintain a nation-wide data base to arrange "swaps" for people who wish to donate but are incompatble with their intended recipient. You could donate to a stranger, while that stranger's incompatible donor donates to your friend. (The kidneys can be safely transported inter-State, so the donors need not have the surgery at the same place as the recipients.)

So, take your time and get well-informed. This site is a good spot both for reading up on living donation and posting particular questions.
Since my own donation (11 years ago, at age 56) went fine for me I have to resist the temptation to just say "Don't worry. Go ahead", but I know from readings and conversations that not all donors have had a good an experience as I had.
      best wishes,
          Fr. Pat

Offline murgie

• Conversationalist
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:57:42 PM »
FR. Pat, when I started to read your response the first thing I saw was DEAR Murgie, and I knew immediately that I was in the right forum for my questions. Thank you for the insight. I am an organ donor, in fact entire body donor at death, but I would love to give while alive if it can save my sons friends dad, so I will do my research and ask as many questions as I can. You are kind and I appreciate you. Curious that you were my age when you donated. I do believe God is calling me to do this, I just want my family to hear that! But yet I understand that I need to be able to care for my son while he is alive. Tough decisions for certain.

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:47:47 PM »
One thing you will learn from this process is patience.  It is not and easy process to become a living donor but this site has invaluable information and wonderfully supportive people.  Good Luck on your journey!

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 01:33:12 PM »
One thing you will learn from this process is patience.  It is not and easy process to become a living donor but this site has invaluable information and wonderfully supportive people.  Good Luck on your journey!

It's true. We have had potential donors complain about the "lack of urgency" from the transplant team, and that seems to be true with many centers.
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved