| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Marrow donor 'got a gift back'  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Marrow donor 'got a gift back'
« on: January 15, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »
Marrow donor 'got a gift back'
Woman bonds with Waverly family
8:16 PM, Jan. 8, 2012  |   Comments

Written by
Jeff Murray

When Tricia Matthews decided to join a bone marrow registry, she had no idea her decision would save the lives of two young children living hundreds of miles away.

Matthews, who lived in Florida at the time, decided 15 years ago to enter the registry after hearing of a man with leukemia who needed a marrow transplant.

Matthews, who now lives in Virginia, ended up being a match for both Daniel and Tom Hyland of Waverly, who suffered from Wiskcott-Aldrich Syndrome, a lethal genetic condition.

After donating marrow for Tom, Matthews was hesitant to go through the procedure again in only a few months, but she said the recovery time was short and the benefits were endless.

Years later, she still keeps in touch with her two bone marrow recipients.

"I now have two boys that are 'blood-related' to me. The fortunate thing is they wanted to stay in touch with me," Matthews said.

"They welcome me to their home, and I visit them. They have made my life so amazing. Watching these kids grow up has been so terrific," she said.

"I gave a gift and got a gift back."

http://www.stargazette.com/article/20120108/NEWS01/201080347/Marrow-donor-got-gift-back-
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional