| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: NKF: The Real Deal About Becoming A Living Kidney Donor, Part 1  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
https://nkfstayinghealthy.wordpress.com/2015/04/02/the-real-deal-about-becoming-a-living-kidney-donor-part-1-before-you-choose-to-become-a-living-donor/

The Real Deal About Becoming A Living Kidney Donor, Part 1: Before You Choose to Become a Living Donor
By Leslie Spry, MD, FACP, FASN, FNKF

On average, nearly 3,000 new patients are added to the kidney waiting list each month and every 14 minutes someone is added to the kidney transplant list. April is Donate Life Month and there’s clearly a dire need for more organ donors.

With that in mind, there are risks and benefits to becoming a living donor. To donate a kidney to a loved one, friend, or even a stranger, is truly to give the gift of life. I have seen in my own practice that living donation frequently makes both the giver and the receiver feel better, and typically those who donate kidneys to their loved ones are joyous and enthusiastic about it.

But the goal should always be to donate a kidney as safely as possible, and with an informed understanding of the risks to both the donor and the recipient. What does it mean to donate a kidney safely? I often receive questions about what people should do if they are pondering becoming a living donor, from what the living donation process entails, factors to consider, and what must be done after donation to protect one’s remaining kidney.

In honor of this health awareness month, I’ve written a three-part blog series with some of the key information you should know before, during and after you choose to donate a kidney. Check back next week for parts two and three in the series.

Before You Choose to Become a Living Donor

There are risks and benefits to becoming a living kidney donor. Back in 2009, I wrote a blog specifically about these risks and benefits. After 6 years, I felt it was time to provide an update and share some recent research and perspective on the matter. I typically receive a number of questions when people are interested in becoming living donors. Here are the top 5 questions that come up again and again:

What is my risk of dying from donating a kidney to a loved one?
This is commonly the first and most-frequently asked question by potential living donors. A comprehensive study examined the surgical mortality within 90 days of donating a kidney, in the United States, from 1994 through 2009. This study found that there were only 25 surgical deaths among 80,347 kidney donors during that time period. This corresponds with a surgical death rate of 0.031% or about 3 per 10,000 donor surgeries. To put it in perspective, the surgical mortality rate for non-perforated (“non-ruptured”) appendicitis is estimated at 8 per 10,000 cases of diagnosed appendicitis. Surgical mortality for living kidney donors was found to be slightly higher in men than in women, and slightly higher in blacks than in whites or Hispanics. That said, the number of deaths was still very low. When looked at over the course of the study (average follow-up of 6.3 years) and compared to a matched population in the United States with similar risk factors, no difference in overall mortality was seen over the duration of the study.
The conclusion: Surgical deaths and long term deaths from kidney donation are very rare.

What is my risk of kidney failure or needing dialysis or a transplant if I become a living donor?
A recent 2014 study deals with this question. Using similar methodology to the study mentioned above, 96,217 living kidney donors were evaluated during the time period from 1994 to 2011. During that time period, 99 living donors developed kidney failure, or End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), that required dialysis or kidney transplantation. The authors compared this result to an evaluation of matched individuals with similar risks and ages but who did not donate a kidney, and followed that during the same time period. The numbers were very small, but the authors estimated that approximately 4 out of 10,000 of these non-donors developed ESRD compared to 31 out of 10,000 kidney donors using the above statistics estimated for a 15 year risk time period. They concluded that while the risk of ESRD was low in both populations, the risk for kidney donors was statistically higher than for non-donor matched individuals.
The conclusion: There is a very small risk of ESRD following kidney donation.

Another study examined the risk of developing high blood pressure, diabetes and chronic kidney disease in different racial ethnicities. This study followed patients for an average of 7.7 years after donating a kidney, and found a slight increase in the incidence of high blood pressure (50% increased risk), for diabetes and chronic kidney disease (2.3 times the risk) in the black population. Similar findings were found in the Hispanic population compared to the white population.
The conclusion: Racial disparities in medical conditions occur among living kidney donors.

If I donate my kidney, what long-term effects will I experience?
You will have a scar from the donor operation. The size and location of the scar will depend on the type of operation you have. Most donors have no negative long-term effects, but some donors have reported that they’ve experienced problems with pain, nerve damage, hernia or intestinal obstruction.
The conclusion: Unfortunately, there are not currently any national statistics on the frequency of these reported problems. People with one kidney may be at a greater risk of high blood pressure, protein in the urine and reduced kidney function, so it’s important to monitor these numbers.

If you are female and considering becoming pregnant, a recent article in the New England Journal of Medicine looked at the risk for high blood pressure and toxemia during pregnancy in women who had been kidney donors in Canada between 1992 and 2009. High blood pressure or toxemia (pre-eclampsia) occurred in 15 of 131 (11%) of pregnancies by women who had been kidney donors and this compared to a similar group of women who had not been kidney donors where 38 out of 788 (5%) pregnancies experienced high blood pressure or toxemia.
The conclusion: There may be an increase in pregnancy risk for kidney donors, although that absolute risk remains very low.

I want to be a donor to a friend or family member, but they won’t let me. What can I do?
Some individuals with kidney failure may decide they do not want a kidney transplant or would prefer to wait for a deceased donor, instead of considering a living donor. While it is a very kind and generous offer to donate your kidney, the person with kidney failure can choose to accept or reject your offer to donate since he or she has the right to decide against a transplant. Even though you may feel like donating your kidney would really help someone that you love or care about, it’s important to respect this person’s decision.
How much will it cost to donate my kidney? Will my insurance cover it?
Generally, if the donation is to a family member or friend, the recipient’s insurance will pay for testing and surgery expenses. However, the donor might be responsible for travel expenses (if the donor and recipient live in different towns/states) and follow-up care, in addition to lost wages. Since donors are never financially compensated, be sure to ask the financial counselor and/or social worker at the transplant center for assistance with these issues or any questions that you may have about the costs associated with donation. Time off from work and travel expenses are not covered by Medicare or private insurance. However, donors may be eligible for sick leave, state disability and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Some follow-up expenses may also not be covered, so it’s important to discuss these matters with the specific transplant center.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
Part 2
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 09:28:27 AM »
https://nkfstayinghealthy.wordpress.com/2015/04/07/the-real-deal-about-becoming-a-living-kidney-donor-part-2-during-the-process-of-becoming-a-donor/

The Real Deal About Becoming A Living Kidney Donor, Part 2: During the Process of Becoming a Donor

nurse or dr with patient in gown (3)So you’ve made the decision to become a living donor. You’re not alone. In the United States in 2013, there were 5,733 living kidney donors. Since 1988, there have been 127,515 living kidney donors in the United States. In 2011, living donors accounted for 42.5% of the kidney transplants performed globally, and there were more than 31,000 live donor transplants done in more than 100 countries around the world.

What’s next? After you’ve made the decision that you want to donate, the testing process begins to determine whether you would be an eligible donor. The process may vary slightly at different transplant centers, but generally the following occurs:

Blood tests and samples are taken to determine donor and recipient compatibility. These include immunological tests to determine the donor’s blood type compatibility and tissue typing to find out the donor and recipient’s particular HLA antigens, which indicate the likelihood that the kidney would be rejected once transplanted. If an entire family is being tested, blood samples will be taken of all potential donors to determine compatibility.
A physical examination to evaluate the health of the donor. This involves a review of medical and family history, including all previous illnesses and surgeries, as well as a physical examination. The physical exam includes laboratory tests to determine baseline kidney function and screen for diseases and abnormalities that may put the donor and/or recipient at risk. Female donor candidates may undergo a gynecological exam and mammography. An EKG will also be performed to assess heart function. A chest x-ray will be used to assess the lungs for the presence of any abnormalities. Any abnormalities found are investigated further before invasive tests are performed.
A psychological evaluation. This is used to provide emotional support and information to the donor and assess the donor’s motivation. Also, if the potential donor determines that he or she does not want to donate, the transplant team can help the donor decline in a way that preserves the family relationships. This evaluation gives the donor an opportunity to express him or herself more fully than she might to the physician, or with the recipient or family present, especially if there is family pressure or financial incentive to donate.
When all of the necessary tests are completed, the results are presented to the transplant team (surgeons, nurses, social workers, financial counselors, etc.) to determine if the person is a suitable candidate for donation. The length of the testing process can vary depending on the availability of the donor for testing, the results of the completed tests, and the individual policies and procedures of the transplant center involved.

If you and the transplant team determine that it’s a good fit to proceed with kidney donation, you may be wondering what happens next? Once you are accepted by the transplant team, you should have a final meeting with the surgeon to discuss expectations, surgical technique, and answer any final questions about the surgery. You will also need to meet with an anesthesiologist about the techniques used for providing anesthesia during your surgery and pain control after the surgery. At that point, a date can be set that is suitable for both you and your recipient.
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
Part 3
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 09:33:21 AM »
https://nkfstayinghealthy.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/the-real-deal-about-becoming-a-living-kidney-donor-part-3-after-you-donate/

The Real Deal About Becoming A Living Kidney Donor, Part 3: After You Donate

After the surgery, you’re officially a living kidney donor. Congratulations! In general, those who ultimately choose to become kidney donors are much healthier than the general population because kidney donors must undergo a comprehensive physical and mental health evaluation prior to being approved to donate a kidney.

It’s still important to think about the short-term and long-term health. Many studies have confirmed that kidney donors have a much longer life expectancy than the general population as a result of being screened for chronic diseases and overall health prior to being a kidney donor. However, since most donors are first degree relatives of kidney patients, they also have an increased risk of developing chronic kidney disease (CKD) just on the basis of being genetically related to the recipient of the kidney.

Here are some tips for kidney donors to monitor their own health and keep one’s remaining kidney healthy after donating a kidney. If you do all of these things, your remaining kidney should stay healthy.

Don’t smoke, maintain a healthy body weight and eat a healthy diet. I am a strong advocate for the DASH diet and a diet that is low in salt. The 2000 milligram sodium DASH diet should be followed by all kidney donors. I also recommend increased physical activity for at least 150 minutes per week.
Avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). These include Advil®, Motrin®, Ibuprofen®, Aleve®, Naproxen®, and Toradol®. Aspirin and acetaminophen (Tylenol® and others) are safe to take.
Get tested annually for kidney disease with blood and urine testing. You should have your blood creatinine tested and a calculation of your estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) as well as urine testing for blood, protein and infection. Since kidney donors only have one kidney, the eGFR may be slightly low, but studies have shown that the eGFR should generally be in the range of 50 to 70 milliliters per minute per 1.73 meters squared. If the eGFR is less than 60 for greater than 3 months, this could qualify as chronic kidney disease (CKD) Stage 3, but I tell patients this is normal kidney function for a single kidney. Just to be sure, you should also have a urine test for Albuminuria-to-Creatinine ratio (ACR) each year to make sure your remaining kidney is normal.
Get an annual physical for overall health. This includes a blood pressure check, blood glucose check to evaluate for diabetes and a total cholesterol check.
Stay in touch with your recipient and tell them about your health. I find that it is important for physicians caring for kidney transplant recipients to ask about the health of the donor with most visits to my office. I also find that if you stay in touch with your recipient, you remind each other of the special bond that you both have and encourage each other to maintain good health. It also reinforces the warm feelings you have about helping your family member or your fellow man or woman. It helps you both.
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved