| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New here. My Dad/Recipient died. Need support  (Read 14169 times)

Offline jessicase

• Conversationalist
New here. My Dad/Recipient died. Need support
« on: May 14, 2011, 06:45:49 AM »
Hello.

I just found this site and am in search of some support from those who are living donors and might understand.

I donated a kidney to my father 11 years ago and he passed away this January.

We were very close and while I am devastated by the loss of my dad and am seeking support for the loss of parent grief which is great, no one seems to know what to say or to understand regarding the loss for me in terms of the loss and death of the kidney. I feel so sad about it all and yet also feel a bit spooked that a part of me is gone as well. I don't feel comfortable talking about it with anyone because we are all so sad about my dad and in sort of seams selfish. My mom has moved and gotten rid of all of the papers and files regarding the transplant because now my dad is gone as are all the doctors visits and appointments. I feel a bit like screaming "I'm still here! Can I have it for my medical history?" She said, oh its been a long time and you are perfectly healthy. He was the sick one, you'll be fine. No one has ever followed up with me since the day I left the hospital. I never really noticed while he was alive and doing well because I wanted him to be healthy, but now I feel left alone in this strange limbo land and can't seem to find anyone to talk to honestly about how I feel. Anyone out there have any advice who has experienced the loss of their living related recipient and organ?

Thank you.

—jessicase
Donated a kidney to my dad.
April 28, 2000

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: New here. My Dad/Recipient died. Need support
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
Jessica,

I'm aware of the following Yahoo group that was set up by someone who donated to her husband and lost him shortly after that:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/bereavedbylivingdonation/

I'm not sure the group is an exact match for what you're looking for, but I thought I would share it.

I hope this helps.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 09:23:33 AM »
Hi Jess,
I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. 
Thank you for your beautiful, generous gift to him.
When I imagine that situation, I can't quite put into words what I feel also.
I hope that that yahoo group helps to touch the spot that hurts, because it's a real thing and you deserve to be heard by others who have and are walking that path also.
We are with you in spirit!!!!! Let us know how you're doing!
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

debbie

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:31:08 AM »
Hi...
I have experienced the death of my sister - she received my kidney in 1992...She died in November of 2010 - last year....She carried my kidney for six years until it's death....With the exception of one more cadaver kidney which only lasted about 2 weeks, the remainder of her life she was on dialysis...She was 60 years old when she passed....Her death was very, very painful for me...And, will be for awhile yet...Still grieving...

Shortly after the transplant surgery I felt an overwhelming loss of a part of me - the kidney - I cried for a long time that evening when it 'hit' me....And, then when the kidney no longer functioned inside her tiny body - it's death gave me another feeling of loss....I believe this is quite a natural and quite normal feeling for us donors....

I have had sympathy and empathy within my family for ME...it wasn't so for a long time after the transplant...But, even though NOW my family has some empathy/sympathy for me, I have come to realize that those who haven't gone through being a donor whether our recipient is alive or gone - they can never really and completely understand what we have gone through and experienced...I wish it could be different...

I, too, would like to have my sister's medical records...I believe in keeping hard copies of all family medical records including my own...We never know if we will need them or others in our families will need them for future reference....

YES - YOU ARE STILL HERE!!!....The feeling of being somewhat - a little - or a lot ignored can make us feel very sad.....I have been quite open when I felt it necessary with my family - quite direct at times...'Hey - you need to listen to what I am trying to say - trying to convey here...AND, I need your help - your love to help me through this!"....Yep, I've been quite direct at times...

I'm very sorry for your loss of your father...it can be very painful to lose those we love....Maybe there will be a time when you can open up with your mother - I hope so....

YES - YOU ARE STILL HERE....
Take care of yourself in every way you know how to...
Debbie

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 07:43:36 PM »
Dear Jessicase,
     When we go to a drug store or a card store and look over the racks of cards for sale, we will probably find a large assortment of "sympathy" cards to send to someone who has lost a family member, or even a pet. But we will probably not find any ready-made cards saying "With sympathy on the loss of your donated organ." This aspect of grief is not much recognized, except by donors and some close to them. It is not strange that you have an added level of grief because a special "part of you" died along with your dad, so go ahead and honor that grief.
     At the same time, a gift never really dies, because it was given in love. If you bake a special cake for someone it is "gone" when it is joyfully gobbled up, but not really "lost". Your dad could not take your kidney with him, but he did, I think, take along the love you gave with it.
    Fr. Pat

Offline Sarah in Maine

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Maine Land Law LLC, PA
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 09:47:43 PM »
Dear Jessicase,
   I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad, and also about the loss of your kidney that gave him so many years of life. 
   My kidney (donated Oct. 2008) went to a stranger, and one of the very odd things is that I will never know its fate -- although I'm told the transplant went well, I don't know if it lasted 2 weeks, 2 years, or if it will last for 2 more decades.  A few months after the transplant, I was at a yoga class, and at the end the teacher has us lie in a prone position and she talks us through all our body parts.  She mentioned being aware of our lungs, our stomache, our kidneys, etc.  And it was so odd for me, to be aware of my one kidney and to not know where or even who had care of my second kidney.  It was easy to make it an amusing anecdote, but it definitely gave me pause to think about when that kidney that used to be mine would come to the end of its useful life.  Seems to me that family donors have so many more complicated emotions tied with the transplant, undoubtedly BEFORE the fact, but also AFTER the fact.  I wonder if my mother (who received a kidney as a result of my donation) will ever be honest with me about her health again.  And I also wonder whatever happened to the actual organ that used to be in my own body.  I can only imagine the grief that you must face to learn that the kidney that once helped keep you alive is no longer functioning.  I really is a true grief, though one that most humans cannot even begin to comprehend. 

I hope that you can find peace and consolation in your grief.  Our thoughts are with you.
--Sarah
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:55:19 PM by Sarah in Maine »
-- Sarah in Maine
Donated my left kidney in NEPKE's "list exchange" in October 2008 allowing my mother to receive a deceased donor kidney in November 2008.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 03:36:06 PM »
I am sorry for your loss.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 12:24:49 AM »
Jessicase,

I just want to say I am so sorry for your loss and that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Jane Zill

• Conversationalist
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 02:06:01 PM »
Thanks for sharing your feelings and your perspectives – and I’m sorry for your losses.

Your description of feeling abandoned by your center and being in a state of vague limbo is one other donors have reported.  I would not look to the transplant center for support because most are not equipped to manage psychosocial problems and centers need to promote living related transplantation as positive and easy.   Although many centers acknowledge that donors experience depression if a organ or recipient is lost shortly after transplant, they are reluctant to acknowledge that psychosocial problems (family strain, depression, anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder, body image problems, bereavement, substance abuse, and suicidal ideation) related to the donation may occur anytime after the donation, and this reluctance is compounded by the lack of good and comprehensive donor data.  But, we know from other patient populations that those who have experienced trauma or loss may have issues that emerge years after the original incident.  Although it sounds as though you feel your donation was a positive event (but I can only presume) it was never-the-less, a huge event.  All major life events, positive and negative, are very stressful.  Organ donation is uniquely stressful because it impacts body, mind, soul, and relationships – and it is a forever, life-changing event.

I have come to understand that it is hard for those, like your mom, who have not donated to relate to the experience of being a living donor.  Instead, they read all the news stories and promotional literature about the positives of living donation and really do not know any better.  Also, family members may have complicated feelings about the transplant, the donation, and the losses.  For example, ambivalence about the role they played, their relationship with the recipient, or are just too exhausted from care giving to become attuned to the experience of the living donor.  Sometimes people deny or minimize what is painful or confusing, and this could leave you in a position of feeling alone and invalidated.

The fact that you are healthy now does not negate the fact that you have experienced loss, a changed sense of bodily integrity, and require ongoing medical follow-up.  Also,  no one can or should tell you how to feel or think about any aspect of your donation experience (or about your life.)  I think your feelings and perspectives are totally normal, valid, and well stated. 

It is poignant to me that you are reluctant to talk about your feelings with your family because the grief for your Dad is so fresh.  While I understand this, it reflects to the broader theme of the “donor story” as one that is often unarticulated and buried.  The drama of the recipient’s illness often overshadows everything else, whether it is the donor’s story of the stories of other caregivers.  I don’t think this is healthy for anyone, even the recipient.

I also lost my recipient and the donated kidney.  I recall saying separate prayers for my kidney and for my recipient.  They were two different living entities that deserved to be honored uniquely, but most importantly, I experienced the loss of the kidney and the loss of the recipient in different ways.   I also recall having a vague awareness that my remaining kidney was somehow grieving for it’s partner.  That may sound bizarre, but it was right and true for me and I encourage you to accept what is right and true for you.  After you are able to acknowledge your losses in a way that is personally meaningful for you, I hope you use your energy to take care of yourself!

The records of the transplant would be nice for you to have, and I think you should get copies.  The records are an important part of your medical history as well as the history of your relationship with your Dad.   Only you can decide what is personally meaningful to you and what is of value TO YOU.  Others cannot decide this and your desires should not be dismissed because you are healthy.

Your story as a donor will go on for the rest of your life and the donation may take on different meanings as you go forward.   A gift you can give yourself is to keep a journal.  Write about how you feel now and record your memories.  You will be very happy to have this years from now, and who knows, maybe you’ll write a book someday that will help other living donors?  The experience of living organ donors is not well understood and too often has been defined by transplant professionals or by other who are not living organ donors.  I think that what you have to say about your experience is very interesting and powerful and hope that you will continue to share your thoughts and experiences. 

There is some research that shows that kidney donors have rates of depression that are higher than that of the general population.  There are several case reports of donor suicides.   Many believe that the first or second episode of major depression in a person’s life is caused by psychosocial stress, after that depression can become a patterned response in one’s brain causing multiple episodes.

The core symptoms of major depression are loss of pleasure or loss of interest in activities and/or depressed mood.  The core symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder are anxiety and feelings of being numb, detached, or avoidant.   Many people experience both disorders simultaneously or in an overlapping way.

If you decide to continue to reach out to others for support, I recommend that you pick those who are truly curious about your experience and seem willing to learn from you.  Avoid those who want to interpret or explain how you should feel or think – this goes for professionals and non-professionals alike.

I wish you the best of luck and think you have an important perspective and story to share.  Be well! 

My best,

Jane

Offline jessicase

• Conversationalist
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 01:14:37 AM »
Hello. Totally forgot I found this site and posted here and just found it again tonight 2 years later. I think I was still in the shock cloud after my dad's death and it was the middle of the night, so I was kind of writing from my subconscious I think that night!

I am touched and appreciate all of you that took time to write, and can't believe there were over 900 views!

I want to write again, just to let those interested know that I was able to process my grief with the help of family (who all slowly came out of the grief cloud too) and with being a part of a good loss-of-parent bereavement group, and some personal therapy. I also make a lot of art and have found it easier and easier to share my story with others. I have always truly believed my dad gave me my kidney and I just gave it back. He was loving, kind, and always let me know how grateful he was for the 10 more years he had because of the transplant.

Just thought it important to let others who may feel the same way about the death of not only their recipient, but may be surprised to feel sudden grief for the loss of their organ as well, that the pain does fade with good positive grief processing, and time makes way for honoring our ability to have helped those we love.

All the best,
Jess

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 07:41:33 AM »
Dear Jess,

I am sorry to hear you lost your beloved father.  It sounds like you had eleven wonderful years to share your especially loving relationship.  You are experiencing the days I fear ahead, as I donated to my Dad less than two years ago.  Keep posting here if you can, there are lots of people who will offer you support and also many who will be grateful to learn from your experience. 

Love, elephant

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »
Can't imagine what you are going through but please know you are not alone while you post here.  You are in my thoughts and prayers. You are here and did a wonderful thing to bless your dad and all those around the both of you.  You gave him more time and allowed more memories to be made.

- Scott
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional