| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Memory problems  (Read 4053 times)

Offline leah.faith

• Top 100 Poster!
Memory problems
« on: February 19, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »
I donated two months ago to the day. Besides the first couple of weeks I haven't had any problems and seem to of gotten back to normal. My moods fine, my energy is fine ( I do sleep more), my creatinine is .9 and my blood pressure is 70/120. I am healthy!
But I started to take classes and can't seem to retain anything I'm learning. I study, alot, but I'm not retaining anything. I just took a test on stuff that I studied all weekend for and as soon as I looked at the questions, I realized I didn't know anything. What is going on? This is completely new to me. does anyone have any advice or has had this experience?

Offline bradmac

• Top 200 Poster!
Re: Memory problems
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 11:58:04 AM »
I had trouble with my memory for a while, and I think it was a reaction to the anesthesia.  It was my first surgery, so I didn't know what to expect from being under for so long.  I was also unsteady on my feet for several weeks.

I hope it improves for you soon!

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 12:18:01 PM »
Oh my gosh! I had the same thing!

I will never forget when we went back for our check ups about two weeks after we got home. My cousins husband drove us down there, and we stopped at a rest area to use the facilities. When I was done, I went out what I thought I remembered as the right door - but it was not the door we came in. I was so upset I was about in tears as I could not figure out why I couldn't find the car! Then I realized I had gone out the wrong door. I also messed up the time of my husband's appointment - again a memory issue. At my checkup, as Brad said, I asked about my forgetfulness and was told it was a side effect of the anesthesia. They said it gradually wears off, but could take up to six months for all the effects to be completely out of your system.

It seemed like it took a long time for my memory to return to full force. It just would improve incrementally over time. My job relies on my memory skills, so I was petrified that my memory might be permanently damaged. Thankfully, it wasn't but it just took a while before I really felt like I was back on my game.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline poodles

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 03:38:06 PM »
I also had memory problems. Used to do extremely difficult sudoko puzzles in pen & immediately after the surgery had difficulty doing even easy puzzles in pencil. This did improve. I used the puzzles to keep track of my returning health,memory & brain.

Your body has gone through a lot & everyone reacts differently to anesthetic & all the other drugs given during surgery. Returning to normal sleep patterns & exercise helped me as did vitamins & other supplements.

If this test counts towards your final grades ask your tutor if a note from the Donor Clinic would allow you to resit the test at a better time for you.

Contact your Donor Nurse or Counselor for advice. They might have some ideas & should be told about possible side effects so as to advise others.

Good luck & let us know how things turn out.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 07:31:36 PM »
     My memory problems after donation surgery had to do mostly with trying to remember the right words when conversing. The doctor did finally tell me that it was a left-over result of the anesthesia and would improve in 2 or 3 months (and it did). This is definitely something that donors should be told about BEFORE the surgery. Please write to your donor coordinator to strongly recommend that it be included in the information given to potential donors. This can be quite DANGEROUS if someone starts to drive again a week or two after surgery, without realizing that her/his memory and reflexes may not be working as well as before.
     That is a good idea that you get something in writing from doctor/hospital and show it to teachers/school to see if they can have some flexibility and give you a break for a while.
     On the bright side: at age 67 now when my memory slips I can just say "Well, that's not because I'm getting OLD, it's just a left-over effect of my donation surgery (even though that's 11 years ago)". Very comforting excuse. Buy yourself a nice filet mignon & champaign dinner because you "forgot" how much it costs. Enjoy!.
       Fr. Pat   

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved