| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 2012 Transplant Games  (Read 14094 times)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
2012 Transplant Games
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:58:31 PM »
     Good News!!! The folks in Grand Rapids, Michigan have picked up the ball after the national Kidney Foundation dropped out of organizing future "Transplant Games". The 2012 "Transplant Games of America" (new name) will be held there July 28-31, 2012, for transplant recipients, donor families and living donors (239 living donors attended the 2010 Games in Madison, Wisc.) Their website is www.transplantgamesofamerica.org and a number of State and Regional teams are already organizing. Look into it. It is a GREAT experience for living donors (I have attended 3) and even if you don't go you can help organize and fund-raise locally to help others (especially kids) go.
    Fr. Pat

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: 2012 Transplant Games
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:10:11 PM »
Are living donors eligible to participate in events like at the Transplant Games from the NKF? I looked on their web page and under FAQ it states that only recipients are eligible to participate. I didn't have time to look at everything in great detail. Maybe I am missing something. Would love to go again. I believe we met last time in Madison.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:15:41 AM »
     The 2010 U.S. Transplant Games in Madison, Wisconsin, were the first games to include athletic events exclusively for living donors. Previous Games had only workshops and recognition ceremonies for living donors. The NFK (National Kidney Foundation) is no longer organizing the Games, due to budget/personnel limitations. So a new private group has picked up the ball (hence renaming then "Transplant Games of America".) They are still in the organization stage, but I presume they will include some athletic events just for living donors. (The big 5km race has always been open to everybody). There will probably be little or nothing new on the NFK site, as they wish to make it clear that they are not the responsible organizing group for the 2012 Games.
     Fr. Pat

Offline joshua_david

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 08:05:58 PM »
Just for any Canadians on board here.....The 2012 Canadian Transplant Games are held In Calgary, Alberta.
Tammy
Mother to Joshua: Joshua was diagnosed with Stage IV Hepatoblastoma at the age of 9 months (Feb.26/07).  After 5 rounds of chemo, I gave 30% of my liver to Joshua (Aug.2/07).
Joshua is 3 years cancer free and is a happy 5 year old.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 07:27:16 AM »
Thanks so much for letting us know Fr Pat! That is indeed good news! Grand Rapids is a lovely city and would encourage anyone who goes to take time to visit the sights - particularly Meijer Gardens.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 11:03:45 AM »
http://www.transplantgamesofamerica.org/

FAQ:

- What athletic events will be held during the games?

Tentative sporting events include:
5K run (open to the public)
Badminton
Bowling
Basketball
Cycling
Golf
Racquetball
Swimming
Table tennis
Tennis
Track & field
Volleyball

We are also evaluating having special events such as (but not limited to) Art Therapy, Bingo and a bowling competition between teams of Donor Recipient and Living Donors vs other teams of similar members. More information on these special events will be relayed to you as they are figured out.

- Who can participate in the games?

Anyone can participate in the games REGARDLESS of where you live. This means international participants can participate if they wish. If you are both a transplant recipient and team leader you are welcome to participate as well! To participate as an athlete you must meet the following* requirements:
Have received a life saving transplant (regardless if you are taking anti-rejection meds or not)
Transplant has occurred at least 6 months prior to the start of the games
You are in healthy condition
Your doctor has signed a medical waiver allowing you to participate
You have signed a form stating that you meet all the above requirements

Note: We are looking into having some involvement TBD with both living donors and potentially donor families who may wish to participate in some activities.
* - Participation terms subject to change. Last updated 08/25/11

- Facebook Group
If you are on facebook and not already a member of the group "Transplant Games of America" then be sure to join today! You can stay up to date and communicate with other participants!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/188403257876151/

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline kali

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: 2012 Transplant Games- 2011 Transplant Games in Richmond,VA Oct 1
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 03:39:28 PM »
Transplant Games in Richmond, VA, Oct. 1, 2011

Just saw this post on my linkedin page:

http://www.virginiatransplantgames.org/sign-up

It looks like the 5k is open to everyone.  Other events are for recipients and donors.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:28:26 AM »
     HI. Just bumping up this notice of this summer's "Transplant Games of America" in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Registration is now open, and the earlier you register the cheaper the rates. Also the local hotels are getting booked up fast so it would be good to sign up now if you plan to go. You can find your contact for local, State or regional team at www.transplantgamesofamerica.org and also register there.
     At present it appears that they will not have separate events for living donors, but that donors can participate along with the recipients in all the athletic events (even if your own reciopient is not in an event). If you're not feeling very "athletic" there are easier events like the soft-ball throw where just about anybody can do it. The goal is not to win medals, but to have a great time and celebrate life with fellow donors, recipients and donor families. I think they give the medals by age group, but don't know if donors will be in a separate category or not. And at present there do not seem to be scheduled workshops or ceremonies just for living donors. The new organizing committee is starting from scratch, so it appears they will not try to duplicate everthing that former Games had this time around.
     I plan to be there, (5k run and 1,500m run) and it looks like it will be a great event. Folks in the local area can just sign up for certain events rather than for the full Games.
    Fr. Pat

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 03:11:42 PM »
     Latest up-date: at present 39 living donors have signed up to take part in different athletic events alongside transplant recipients. Other living donors will probably be there as well, but not signed up in organized sports.
   Fr. Pat

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »
     On Saturday, July 28, 2012, at 7:30 p.m. CENTRAL time you can watch a live streaming video of the opening ceremonies of the Transplant Games in Grand Rapids, Michigan at:
http://www.facebook.com/I/zAQGBBZOS/www.transplantgamesofamerica.org/opening-ceremony
     Hope the link works. I'll be giving a short invocation, after the speech by the Mayor of Grand Rapids.
             Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional