| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: I made a dumb decision.....  (Read 6138 times)

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
I made a dumb decision.....
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:22:39 PM »
Hi there.  Made a dumb decision tonight...I donated two weeks ago today and tonight in my impatience and stupidity I lifted and moved something across my house (small house but still.....) that probably weighed 15-20 lbs.  I know I'm not supposed to lift anything over 10 lbs for 6 weeks. I don't know why I didn't wait until a friend arrived to help me but I didn't.  I feel a bit sore (mainly an ache in my right groin/hip area), but I had a busy day (my follow up docs appt and my mom took me grocery shopping) so am not sure the soreness has to do with lifting.

What I'm curious about is what lifting too much can do...I think cause a hernia but is there something else?  Did any of you do this too?  What should my concerns be, what should I look for, etc?  I don't feel terrible like I pulled something and would call the doctor if I did, but I'm paranoid and feeling quite guilty about my impatience and the possibility I could hurt myself of cause a complication in my recovery.

Thanks for listening.....please don't judge....I am coming with my tail between my legs and won't disobey again.    :-[

Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: I made a dumb decision.....
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:24:36 AM »
Don't be so hard on yourself - it is very easy to go over the restriction and not realize what you are doing. Even a gallon of milk weighs in at 8 pounds.....  The main risk in violating the weight restriction is a hernia, but you also risk ripping open the incision both interior and exterior. My surgeon had quite a memorable way of putting it - he said I could follow the weight restrictions or do what I wanted. It would just mean a hernia which meant more surgery. My comment was No thank you! One surgery is enough!
Keep an eye on yourself and how you feel. Don't hesitate to call the center if anything doesn't feel right. Fingers crossed that this was just a fluke and everything is okay for you.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:50:27 AM »
I agree.  I have 4 kids and although I tried to not lift anything, when my then 3 year old would get hurt and it was just me home and I had to get him on the counter so I could get a look...well, I put him on the counter, you know?
Maybe today you can lay extra low and just have a good rest since yesterday was sooooo busy for you? Take care of you!
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:11:44 AM »
No dumb decisions. Hey, this donation thing is not as easy as it seems and can be a little frustrating. Rest today, don't overdo it and maybe invite a friend over to hang out so if you do need something someone is with you. You have your PCP just in case so don't worry.

BTW, I love reading your post donation posts now. You are passing it forward. Nice being able to be on the other side.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:01:44 AM »
Thanks ladies!  You made me feel better.  Today is a day to rest and relax.  And I've learned my lesson-no more moving stuff across the house!

Hope you all have a great day.
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Christine Robinson

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Beside the Quiet Voices
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »
I made that mistake, too, only it was not so much "lifting" as exercising.  I went into the donation as a lean and fit runner.  I could hardly wait to get back into shape.  (You're never too old or mature to consider yourself invincible.)

After about three weeks when my stomach muscles started to feel less battered, I started my daily stretching and toning, but overdid it on day one!  You're too hard on yourself because no one could be dumber than I was: I was doing crunches.  (Crunches! What a doofus!)  Mind you, they were little crunches, but still... I'm now sporting a small bulge at one of the incision sites.  (I donated laproscopically.)  It's not a danger, but people notice it when I wear my bikini.

(Just kidding. I'd have to be heavily sedated to agree to a bikini... and so would anyone unfortunate enough to get a look at me in one. hahaha!)

christine

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 06:03:46 PM »
Wow!  I'm amazed you felt up to doing crunches....maybe that is because today I feel like walking from bed to the couch to sit and watch tv is like running a marathon, but I have no desire to do much more than that right now.  But, I know this too shall pass and in a few days I'll be back to feeling like I have energy and am on the mend.

Thanks for all the encouragement.  I'm not feeling like such a disobedient patient anymore, but won't be lifting or doing too much again!  Just back to taking it easy and being lazy.    ::)
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline fbalzofiore

• Conversationalist
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 05:37:07 PM »
I am a school teacher and lifted several text books at one time, this past Wed. Donated kidney on May 25th. I thought i would be ok to do it, ;) NOT! I feel like I pulled my lower left side of my back. Have been going from couch to bed for two days. We need to chill out and take it easy. Good Luck to you and be careful. ;)

Offline Barbara S

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 09:08:35 PM »
I agree - don't be so hard on yourself - but do be careful.  I felt great - my problem was laundry - I was lifting laundry baskets - without even thinking about it because I felt so good.  I did end up with a hernia - not sure if it was from that or not.  But its hard when we feel good!!
Proud Kidney Donor to Brother
December 9, 2003
at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional