| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: glucose levels anyone???  (Read 4844 times)

Offline lisamgoldberg

• Top 100 Poster!
glucose levels anyone???
« on: June 23, 2011, 09:04:28 PM »
Hi,
So I had the 2 hour glucose test 2 days ago b/c they found some glucose in my urine. The results came back normal and I am cleared as a doner. Did anyone out there have any abnormal urine tests where they found glucose? I am getting nervous that no one has had this happen to them. I just am afraid that maybe one day I may develop diabetes if they possibly found glucose. They said it was a false positive and that sometimes urine can enter our urine but it doesn't mean anything b/c it doesn't stay there.
Help!!!
I just want to know if this happen to any others.
Lisa

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
Re: glucose levels anyone???
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:37:34 PM »
Lisa,

Didn't have this happen, but may I suggest ask them if they could re-test you again in a couple of weeks and see if you receive the same result.  Just a thought.  This may confirm you have nothing to worry about or if the test shows glucose again, you will at least be able to ask for more information and make an informed decision as to if you want to continue as a donor.  Good luck in whatever you decide to do - praying for you!

Scott     8)
http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens1491171_Green_Ribbon.gif
Scott

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
If your Transplant team is really good
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 05:33:43 AM »
and mine was marvelous...they would be able to help you discern what the potential is for you developing adult onset diabetes (Type II) somewhere down the road....

I had to take the glucose tolerance test (GTT) 3 times before mine was acceptable.  I was a few pounds heavier than I should have been, and with eight very strenuous weeks of exercise, and watching every bite I ate very carefully, I lost 14 lbs, and my glucose tolerance test was near  perfect.

Talk with your Living Donor Coordinator...and your physician...they can explain these things.  If not, find another LDC, and definitely another physician.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: glucose levels anyone???
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 09:23:53 AM »
Lisa,

If I remember correctly, in previous posts you had expressed some ambivalence and fear about donating a kidney. Believe me, I can relate. I, too, am a sibling who was very ambivalent and reluctant to undergo an elective surgery and particularly because I have two brothers who show signs of kidney disease. One brother is the one I donated to and the other also has microscopic hematuria and is under the care of a nephrologist. I finally decided to go ahead with the surgery and both my brother and I are doing well 3 1/2 years later. One of the residuals that I am left with is some of the anxiety that seemed to rear its head with all the testing and the what ifs. So you may want to think about if you do pass the medical tests and go through with the surgery will you be able to put all the anxiety by the wayside or will you constantly be thinking about the what ifs. I have been seeing a social worker which has helped me immensely in dealing with nervousness, resentment and anxiety. I was always a little nervous about health in general so with the surgery it was just magnified. I think the transplant team's approach is that you will have the surgery, go back to your routine and never look back. I think for most that is true, but for some with underlying anxiety and nervousness that might not be the case. May not be a reason not to donate but you have to have the support in play to help you through some of the post surgical emotional issues if it does persist.
Good luck as you travel down the donation road.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional