| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Arthritis treatment after donation  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
Arthritis treatment after donation
« on: May 22, 2011, 11:09:02 PM »
Common condition, arthritis.  I'm lucky in that at least right now it is just affecting the finger responsible for keeping a guitar pick held against the thumb.   Swelling and pain finally increased to the point where I went to the Dr and she confirmed that its arthritis. It looks like the only real treatment for it is 1) Tylenol, 2) exercise it/movement, and 3) soaking in warm liquid to reduce swelling.

I post this here because as a donor I'm avoiding all ibuprofen and similar pain meds.  Actually, I avoid meds period and have never really had to resort to them as I've been blessed with very good health (which helped me be a successful donor).

I was curious if any of you have experienced this and have any suggestions for treating this (other than Tyelenol) and if you have any specific cautions about Tyelenol. 

Thanks & cheers
Oldnslow

"Donated to my brother in Dec 2008"
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Mmeaimee

Re: Arthritis treatment after donation
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:37:01 AM »
You may want to ask your doctor about using a topical prescription anti-imflammatory gel called Voltaren Gel (diclofenac sodium topical gel) used to treat the pain & inflammation of osteoarthritis.  Due to it's topical nature, the medication is absorbed right where you need it & very little is absorbed throughout the rest of the body.  The only drawback is that you do have to apply it several times a day. 

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 07:14:24 AM »
Can you purchase it over the counter or is it prescription only?   

That seems worthwhile.   Taking tylenol, regularly, forever seems well, like giving up.

Thanks
Oldnslow
Oldnslow

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 08:11:44 AM »
Have you tried fish oil, Oldnslow?  May not do anything, but it can't hurt. I have a touch of arthritis in one finger and one toe (go figure!) but doesn't bother too much except in winter when it is cold. Started taking fish oil on a regular basis and it does seem to help the stiffness.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Mmeaimee

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 08:41:02 AM »
Voltaren is by prescription only.  Depending on your insurance, it will run you about $5-$35 approx. in most cases.  If you have been to see your doctor recently for this problem it should only require a call to the office to have the nurse ask your doctor if this is ok...if ok, they should be able to call it in to the pharmacy for you.  Glucosamine Chondroitin (an over the counter dietary supplement) also may help loosen stiff joints from arthritis but I don't know how this may affect the kidneys...but your doctor should be able to advise you.  Hope this helps!

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:37:27 PM »
mmmmm fish-oil.  Must be good for you.  Can't imagine it tastes good!  Dietary supplement is worth a try.

I'll also give a call to the Dr.     Right now I think its only bothering my finger.  Although, I went down on one knee in a karate kata last week and my knee said stop..Figured it was because I've been taking it too easy lately. 

I appreciate the kidney friendly suggestions.  Best place to get them.

Cheers
Oldnslow
Oldnslow

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »
I'll have to take a longer look at the topical treatment.  I checked with my transplant team and they advised against using it as it would still be absorbed.  I would be interested if there are some studies on the absorption percentage that we could look at.

Thanks
Oldnslow
Oldnslow

BillCtheYounger

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 10:47:52 PM »
Hi Old'n'Slow,
Sorry to hear you've got arthritis. Are there excercises that help?
Good luck!  ;D
Bill

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 11:21:03 PM »
They said I should make sure I keep exercising the joint.  Kind of hard not too.   Its the joint of my right hand index finger.  So writing, typing, picking the banjo, guitar, and swinging a golf club all exercise it to some degree.  Flipping a Sai also does.  LOL - so I'll keep using it as long as I can.  I do find its harder to open things & my wife has started to do more of that for me (humility here).  For the most part I'm avoiding medicine but I'll give in.  I did pick up some Omega 3 fish oils per Orchid Lady's recommendation.

I laugh when I think of exercising it.  Remember the thing when you're a kid and you do the opposing exercise with index fingers pretending to do hup two three four.   Kind of like that.

So, its one of the crosses you carry when you're a donor.  Kind of takes some of the meds off the table.  Especially if it would really require prolonged use.

Thanks!

Oldnslow
Oldnslow

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional