| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donating In July: Any advice?  (Read 3492 times)

Offline lehunt008

• My first post!
Donating In July: Any advice?
« on: May 23, 2013, 02:57:14 PM »
I just got my tentative transplant date to donate a kidney to my cousin, who was born with a congenital kidney problem. He is 24 and has been on dialysis for about three years. He had one failed transplant (rejected) about a year and a half ago from a deceased donor. I'm really excited to be a match and so grateful that I can do this for him. Just wondering if anyone who has been through this has any practical advice or tips to share as the date gets close. Anything you wish you had known before?

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Donating In July: Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:51:44 PM »
     One little thing that I did not know ahead of time is that post-operative bloating can make your usual-size clothing (underwear, shoes, pants, etc.) uncomfortably tight for a while. So bring extra-large things to wear going home and for the recovery time. When my time came for discharge from the hospital the poor nurse had to struggle to stuff my feet into my regular shoes so that I would not have to go home barefoot in the snow!
     As noted elsewhere, lots of tips at www.kidney.org/transplantation/livingdonors.cfm
                best wishes,
                     Fr. Pat

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
Re: Donating In July: Any advice?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 01:20:15 AM »
Father Pat. The story would have been more impressive if you did walk home in the snow.   :) 
But I remember one challenge being constipation-- You usually need to have all systems go, to go home.  If at first or second you don't succeed, don't be afraid to ask for a suppository.  My wife also gave me a gentle laxative  tea.  After that everything was fine.  Also they give you a button for pain medicine.  Don't think you're a wimp by pushing it.  You can't get too much.  I used it the first night to get some sleep.  Then after that the pain meds are oral.  Everyone is different with pain.  Some more.  Some less.  You heal better when pain is well managed. Just listen to your body.    It's going to be asking, what the heck just happened!     

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional