| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: pain in my back since surgery  (Read 5383 times)

Offline helpin mom

• Top 200 Poster!
pain in my back since surgery
« on: April 27, 2012, 08:57:32 AM »
   I dont know if anyone else has had this happen, I have had this pain in my back on the left side since kidney donation surgery one week ago today 4/20/2012. I have been walking as much as I can, but that only help a litle bit. I had laproscopy hand surgery, is just when they had the instruments in there, or where they moved my insides around to get the kidney out???  ??? ???

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: pain in my back since surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:54:45 PM »
I had that same pain.  Try heat.  You are twisted like a pretzel to get the kidney out.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 07:23:32 PM »
     You can also try gentle bending and stretching exercises. Also try to return to your normal posture in standing, sitting, sleeping, walking. After surgery we tend to adopt a different posture (stooped a bit?) trying to avoid pain to the incision(s), and constantly using a different posture puts unusual strain on some muscles.
      best wishes,
         Fr. Pat

Offline jennybebopper

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 06:42:12 PM »
Very normal, and eventually it will go away.  As mentioned above, can be pain from the surgery itself, the position you were in during OR, and/or the way your body might be compensating with other muscles to minimize discomfort.  Keep in mind you are also probably sleeping differently than normally; I am normally a tummy sleeper and I found my nonoperative hip sore after a few days just because I could only sleep on my back or awkwardly on my right side.  I agree with heat, keeping Tylenol in you as needed.  Keep up the walking, stay hydrated.  Stretching didn't necessarily take away my pain but does seem to prevent flare-ups well, I have started stretching daily and it seems to help.  Good luck!

Offline helpin mom

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:56:58 AM »
   Thanks for all the help,  I am a side/back sleeper, its killing me not to sleep on my side. Is it ok to sleep on my left side where they took my lefty out or not? I go for my 1st check up May 7th. hope all is ok I was on a kidney donation of a chain of 6, I was told the person who got mine was doing great, so is my mom she was on my chain also. Its awesome to be able to help others.

Offline Manazefa

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 04:12:20 PM »
So happy to see this thread.  I donated on march 26 this year and still have pain on my right side (left kidney donated).  I still cannot ride far in a car without hurting so bad that I have to sit sideways to tolerate the pain.  Tylenol doesn't stop this pain.  I walk, stretch, and have used heat some.  Can't massage because it hurts to press on my back.  Some of the pain feels almost organic, but I kind of doubt that it is organ related.  I was told that my age is why I have the problems...I am 62.  And itis a result of the position during surgery.  Any other suggestions?  Anyone have pain that lasts this long or longer?  My surgeon told me to expect 6 months to a year. 

Offline peterduvall

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 11:57:32 PM »
Dear Helpin Mom

1st of all.........you're awesome - congratulations.

It's always tough after major surgery & you will fell better soon. I had laparoscopic also, and was surprised that the most pain I felt post surgery was not in my gut, but in my upper back...the result of gas from the surgery traveling up......... i drank lots of ginger ale and walked a lot.

I think it's important to remember, your'e ok, even if you dont feel ok. It takes time to recover from major surgery, my teenage daughter had spinal fusion surgery this winter (intense major surgery) - was fine a few weeks later, me at 43 donated, 4 days in the hospital and a few more weeks to get back to "normal"

You will fell better before you know it......even better knowing what a wonderful thing you have done.

Peter

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved