| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Canada-US Border  (Read 4275 times)

MasterRunIt

Canada-US Border
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:14:56 PM »
 ???      I am in Canada....I have a friend in need of a type O kidney..I was willing to donate for him, but I am a type A....I am more than willing to trade mine if there is someone with a suitable match for him!
He is in Seattle Washington, but I am willing to travel to the US to make this work!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/206403696138946/

I am not certain of the cross border complications?...Does anybody have any insight to complications that may arise from us being in different countries?...

****I have learned that pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional. If I can learn to accept that pain is a part of my life, I will be better able to endure the difficult times and move on stronger....leaving the pain behind me....

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Canada-US Border
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 09:58:38 AM »
I can't imagine there would be a problem as long as you have a visa to be in the US for that period of time and a way to have the follow-up done in Canada. Since the recipient's insurance pays for everything, that shouldn't be an issue, unless the Canadian health plan would refuse to cover follow-up but I can't imagine that, either.

BTW, I am type A and my recipient was type O. I have blood type A2 (most people are A1) which contains a lower level of whatever O reacts to, so since my recipient had low levels of whatever reacts to it (terrible explanation, I know) we could do an ABO incompatible transplant. I don't think these are done everywhere, though, but just in case, you should find out if you are A1 or A2.

Also, my recipient happens to be a Canadian citizen who is living in the US on a work visa. There weren't any issues with that (of course, he has private American health insurance).

I don't think I've helped much, but there you go.  :) Welcome!

Offline Johnny_t

• Top 200 Poster!
Re: Canada-US Border
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »
I am not sure about the citizenship question, but the ABO compatibility I can answer for you.  Just as CK mentioned, I too am A (but type 1) and my recipient is type O.  Our transplant center participates in the National Kidney Registry program of paired exchanges, so we were able to make a transplant happen by indirect donation.  My kidney went to Ohio, and her kidney came from Texas.  It's a pretty cool program, and although I didn't donate directly to her it feels just as though I did.  You guys might want to find out if your transplant center does this type of program.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved