| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: HELP,should I donate Kidney to my 70 year old grandfather  (Read 5293 times)

Offline sugar1211

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
HELP,should I donate Kidney to my 70 year old grandfather
« on: January 15, 2014, 11:59:08 PM »
HELP,should I donate Kidney to my 70 year old grandfather.
Hello, I have went through all the testing and I'm a match to donate to my grandfather. The surgery is scheduled in less than a month. I am having second thoughts after advice to a friend who has donated her kidney to her mother . I have doubts because I'm 28 years old with no children. Age and life expectancy of my grandfather may not be significantly improved. I just feel bad about the possibility of pulling out this late in the process. Advice needed.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: HELP,should I donate Kidney to my 70 year old grandfather
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:29:03 AM »
     It might be wise to talk more with his doctor and get a better idea of the chances of success of the transplant, and of what it might reasonably be expected to do to benefit him. Each patient is different, and some have better expectations than others. It's a big decision, and you need all the info to make it well.
    Most (all?) transplant hospitals understand very well if an intended donor, after thinking it over more, decides not to continue. The health testing demands for a donor are so strict that it is quite possible for the doctor to take another look at all your test numbers and decide that they are not QUITE good enough to approve you after all. So nobody else needs to know if it is your decision to not continue.
     It may also be possible to look for an older donor (e.g. 50's or 60's) among his friends, neighbors, church/synagogue members, old alumni, former co-workers, etc. Sometimes there are people who are now pretty free of future family responsibilities who would gladly donate IF they KNEW of his need and of the possibility of living donation. Don't be shy about getting the word out. You are definitely NOT the ONLY possible living donor.
    best wishes,
        Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:50:36 AM »
Dear Sugar,

Take a look at this thread from a few days ago:

"Very young kidney donors"

You can decide not to donate at any point, the transplant team will explain why you have been rejected as a donor. 

Love, elephant

Offline Mizchelle

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »
I second this!! 100%

You can decide not to donate at any point, the transplant team will explain why you have been rejected as a donor. 

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional