| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Diet Soda is bad, right?  (Read 3710 times)

Offline leah.faith

• Top 100 Poster!
Diet Soda is bad, right?
« on: January 03, 2014, 12:29:45 PM »
So I've read some articles, and even a study that makes the assertion that diet soda has a direct negative effect on kidney health… I asked my nephrologist and she's all like "No, diet soda is A-OK".
Has any of your doctors said otherwise?

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: Diet Soda is bad, right?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »
Maybe you're thinking of the hype following one of the statistical correlations observed in the Nurses' Health Study. Dr. Lin, who happens to have been my independent evaluating nephrologist, found that most consumers of more than two diet sodas a day, on average, also displayed a more rapid annual decline in glomerular filtration rate than those who didn't. http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20091102/diet-sodas-hard-on-the-kidneys

Lots of hysterical warnings have been lumped into the sugar vs. sweeteners media wars. This one got added to the mix four years ago. As far as I know, this is as serious as the indictment gets, and neither the mechanism or the long term hazard profile is better explained yet. Make your own decision. I use sucralose in my morning tea, but I don't drink soda, not even diet. Best wishes.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
625 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Diet Soda is bad, right?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 06:35:41 PM »
     I have read studies that indicate that consumption of dark-colored sodas such as colas (regardless of whether they are diet or regular) increases the risk of developing kidney stones. That's not exactly a kidney "disease" but when you have only one kidney a stone can be especially troublesome or dangerous. Seems to have to do with the coloring agent(s) rather than the type of sweetener when it comes to kidney stones.
   Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved