| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Six month follow-up  (Read 3512 times)

Stephmichelle

Six month follow-up
« on: November 14, 2015, 10:29:33 PM »
What occurs at the six month follow-up and do I need to go to the transplant center for this?

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Six month follow-up
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 07:16:03 AM »
Each transplant center is required to keep data on donors for 2 years post transplant. Most centers do a one month, six month, one year and two year follow up. If we do not have data for donors it is very difficult to assess how kidney donation effects donors. If you live far or find it difficult to go to your transplant center, ask them for a form so that you can have blood work done (may still be covered under recipient's insurance) at your local primary care doctor and make sure they receive this information so it can be documented. Sadly, most centers do not spend time trying to locate donors and just check "lost to follow up". If something does change in our health status, such as you develop high blood pressure, protein in your urine, problems with incision or anything else that may be significant, you should alert them so that this data can be collected.

Good luck at your appointment and hope you are feeling well.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Six month follow-up
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 12:03:48 PM »
Dear michelle,

As sherri said, you can get a prescription from the transplant hospital, and get blood work locally.  I'd like to add that I think donors should continue to follow-up on their own health at least yearly forever.  Your local family practice can order blood work, urinalysis, check blood pressure, and weight.  I've been on a potentially nephrotoxic medication, and ask my doctor for 3 or 6 month blood tests. 

Love, elephant

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional