| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Sharing good news because my family doesn't really *care*.  (Read 6142 times)

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
Sharing good news because my family doesn't really *care*.
« on: September 29, 2011, 11:53:02 AM »
Since the donation is "over", I guess they aren't overly interested in anything having to do with it anymore. It feels that way, at least. Maybe I'm just being an emotional girl.
Anyway, last night I got to meet up with my NKF friends in regards to the Twin Cities walk coming up, and the kidney chain/me speaking at it. FUN! BUT it gets even better- the midwest territory is expanding, and there is a conference at the NKF office on the 18th, and they asked me if I would please come and speak there too!  WOOO HOOO!!!  Kidney chains are still really new in these parts, and they think the story will really hit home with the people who will be there. Isn't that GREAT?! I'm so honored, because I don't "feel" like I did anything- I feel no different, and it's such a great opportunity to spread more awareness.

So, just wanted to share with people who still have donation/transplants close to their hearts. :)
Thanks for being here. It'd be really lonely to be excited all by myself.

Emotional Girl Today,
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Sharing good news because my family doesn't really *care*.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »
Wow!  Very exciting!  I love that you are still involved long after your donation.  I am only 11 weeks out and it kind of feels like it never happened.  Physically that is a great thing, but emotionally it is still something I think about often, and wish I could share the experience or be involved somehow.  When I searched for a Kidney Walk in Seattle I was disappointed not to find one!

How awesome that your gift keeps on giving by your willingness to raise awareness!

Cheering along side of you!
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline shelley

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 12:35:31 PM »
WOW Nicki!  That's fantastic!  Your enthusiasm for donation is so boundless and I am so glad you have these chances to tell your story and get others to consider the possibility for themselves.

I for one am very happy for you!

Shelley

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 06:30:05 PM »
Nicki;  Congratulations - great opportunities to educate and enlighten people.  You continue to be such a great "point-of-light" and example for others my friend.   I'm not only happy for you...I'm happy WITH you!  Hope to see you on October 15th.

Scott
Scott

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 01:48:27 AM »
Hi Nicki!

I just wanted to tell you congratulations and I am so proud of you and so happy for you! Thank you for all you do, and, just for being you! :)

Hugs!!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 07:44:47 AM »
Bravo, Nicki!  Keep it up as long as you enjoy it, you're making a great impact, I'm sure.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 09:33:48 AM »
Thank you, friends. I mean it.  It really helps to have people who Really Understand.  I feel really kinda bummed out that I am getting the "You'll do fine." & end of discussion talks over here.
It's hard, because I don't FEEL like I've done anything, I am healed, and I wish to get across not that what *I* did is great, but of what is possible to do. I've got my work cut out for me. And it's going to be AWESOME. I know it is. It's just nice to have friends and a place to go where I don't feel bad talking about it. So THANK YOU!
LOVE!
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 11:07:44 AM »
Congratulations on your speaking engagement! 

Offline rdr321

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 12:29:46 PM »
 Hi Nicki. I am almost 7 weeks out from surgery. I saw my surgeon a couple days ago. He said the chain I started is going to be the biggest chain ever so far. And I don't feel like I have done much of anything either.   
                                                 Rick

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 02:33:57 PM »
That's exactly how it is, Rick. I can look at the other donors in the chain, who all donated to people they don't (didn't) know also, and I can feel it then. Every time I hear about someone donating, like reading your post, I can feel the immensity of it, and I can clearly see how far reaching that act is, but I don't look like or feel like I had a kidney removed so it's very hard to feel like I did anything at all.

Which just makes the whole thing THAT much cooler. Who thought it was possible?
Hope you're continuing to heal well! I am so thrilled that your chain is still going. Isn't that the most incredible thing? You were going to have surgery one way or another, and you made one choice about it and look at all the people affected. It's so awesome. :)
Be the change!
Nicki

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional