| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: made the grade  (Read 4928 times)

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
made the grade
« on: September 30, 2011, 06:03:44 PM »
I just heard from my nurse coordinator that I have been approved to donate a kidney to my brother.  He is in chronic failure, not on dialysis, so surgery might not happen for 6 months to a year, but we will be ready when the time comes!
I have learned a lot by reading this web site.  Thank you!

Offline leah.faith

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: made the grade
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 12:49:47 AM »
Congratulations! Your brother is so lucky to have a kidney ready and waiting for him. Being on dialysis is such a pain in the ass for my friend ( well, her stomach actually) and your brother is lucky to not have to deal with it. Good luck!

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:53:10 AM »
Thanks, Leah.  I'm sorry you are meeting so much resistance.  My friends and coworkers have been extremely supportive.  Wish I could share them with you.  The only resistance came initially from my brother, but he has become convinced that this is an ethical thing to do.  I hope your family comes around and can be there for you.

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 05:09:16 PM »
Congratulations!!

That is such fantastic news for you and your brother! I remember when I was told I was approved to donate to my Husband. I could not have been any happier if I would have been told I had won the worlds largest lottery, I was just so happy!

Please keep us updated as to how your brother is doing, and if a date does get set for surgery. Please also feel free to post here as much as you would like with any and all questions. You will find an abundance of information and support here.

Best Wishes, :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 06:07:07 PM »
Congratulations! Sounds like you are both well prepared for the future!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 01:35:30 PM »
Thanks Linda, Leah and Orchidlady...it's good to have the support of people who are either in the process or have already been through it.  Now that I am approved, he needs to proceed with a cardiac angiogram, and I will be on standby in case he needs a kidney sooner rather than later.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional