| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Caffein dependence pre surgery  (Read 5801 times)

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
Caffein dependence pre surgery
« on: October 18, 2012, 12:23:18 PM »
Yesterday my hubby had rotator cuff surgery, general anesthitic.  Upon waking he had the sore throat from the breathing tube and some nausea, which suprised me as they had applied a scolapein patch presurgery.  Then he got a terrible headache in the back of his head, pounding he described it.  So after about an hour of not feeling well, someone asked if he was a coffee drinker, DING, the light went on, yes he is, a lot in the AM.  So they gave him a caffein tablet, more fluids and some pain meds, even though he had a nerve block, his back was sore.  Tried to stand him, he was dizzy and neaseaous, so down we sat.  So I was massaging his neck and looking at where they injected the nerve block and didn't see his scop patch.  Checked the other ear and no patch, so rang the nurse and said it is not on him, that is why he feels so lousy.  Sure enough, they put on a new one after making sure the other was MIA and in about an hour he felt a lot better.  He stood, eat a couple of crackers, drank some soda, we got him dressed and we were out of there.

I just wanted anyone going in for surgery to remember about the caffein dependency that many have and depending on how you feel after surgery, whether you can eat and drink, if you get a bad headache, you may need a caffein fix.

After this episode with my hubby, I remembered with my own surgery, that I was terribly nauseaous for several weeks, no scop patch, maybe because it can interfer with urination, and, the pounding headaches in the back of my head that I had for several days, was probably linked with the caffein withdrawal. Would have been nice if someone would have offered me a caffein tablet, sheesh  My sense of smell was sooooo off for several weeks, brathing tube and reaction to sedation, that most smells made me nauseaous, including coffee.  So since surgery, 1 1/2 years, I havn't drank coffee in any form.  Off it completely.  Green tea a couple of times a day is it.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Caffein dependence pre surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 04:07:03 PM »
Good information to know! Thanks for sharing!

It's funny that for about 3 days after surgery I didn't have much of an appetite. But boy did I want my coffee! The only thing that I really went for with the breakfast and meals they brought was the coffee or iced tea.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Kidney Bean

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 04:27:33 PM »
Smart to put this in its own category. I had a TERRIBLE headache in the hospital. It was really my only complaint. My mom suggested coffee, but I didn't think it could be that. She got me some, and there went the headache!

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 06:31:43 PM »
I drink tea and diet coke.  I found out this week that our hospital got rid of all coke products in the Hospital.  After my testing day, I called my friend who is coming and put her in charge of bringing the Diet Coke for both of us. 

Offline Dora76

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 08:34:11 PM »
Hi,

You make such a good point!  The funny thing is that I am so much of a caffeine addict that I did plan for it--I brought Starbucks VIA packets to have on hand for when I could have liquids.  I'm not a Starbucks fan, but the instant packets are the next best thing for me in a jam because you can use them with hot or cold water.  Anyway, in my experience I didn't even end up needing it because I had completely lost my appetite and I really didn't even drink coffee for 3 weeks afterwards.  Strange.

My tip for people though, would be to put someone in charge of bringing you cough drop (for sore throat from the tube in the throad) ice chips and/or other drinks for when they let you have it.  The most uncomfortable thing for me was feeling like my mouth was sandpaper from it being so dry post-surgery.

I know that's a bit unrelated but...  I just thought you made such a good point =)
~Living kidney donor to my mother, November 2010~

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 03:22:04 AM »
     Just to mention as an aside regarding Coke: there was a study published a while back indicating that those who drank a lot of coke (regular or diet) or other dark-colored sodas had an increased risk of kidney stones (which you do NOT want to get if you have only one kidney!) I don't know if that study has been confirmed, but I myself have cut back on dark sodas just in case.
   best wishes,
      Fr. Pat

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »
I've also seen studies that those who drink sodas are likely to weigh more.  I've lost a few pounds since starting testing and cut back on the Diet Coke, but it is still a strange comfort food. 

I've never had surgery before, (ok, had it at 2 but I don't remember) so anything that will make it easier is in the plan.  I may be requesting a Ben and Jerry's run from her too.

Anyway, I agree, caffine needs is just one more thing that needs to be accomodated.

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 07:34:28 PM »
Remember, it isn't that I  didn't WANT to have coffee, or anything else for that matter, it was that I COULDN'T drink(other than water) or eat anything because the smells of everything made me sick. Even the hand sanitizers gave me waves of nausea. The pounding headache was something that could have been helped if someone would have been smarter than me and I was drugged the first couple of days, haha.

It actually took about a month for that to straighten out.  It was a good week and a half before I could stand the smell of food cooking or coffee brewing.  Crazy!
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 12:43:59 PM »
I had read the suggestion somewhere on LDO to cut back on caffeine before surgery to avoid the withdrawl headache.  About a week before surgery I starting making half and half (decaf/reg) coffee and a couple days before only drank decaf.  I figured with all the other potential issues post-op I didn't want a caffeine headache!  I am glad I did that because I really couldn't drink coffee for a couple weeks due to extreme nausea.  It is hard to tell what you are going to want to eat or drink after surgery until you are there.  Ice chips were the best thing ever immediately after and then for about 2 weeks the only thing I wanted was saltines or pita chips (not the best way to loose 14 pounds in 2 weeks.)  Once the nausea went away I was back to enjoying my morning cup of coffee!

Good luck!
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional