| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Donated yesterday!!!  (Read 5388 times)

Offline blessed1

• Top 200 Poster!
Donated yesterday!!!
« on: December 17, 2011, 10:39:08 AM »
Good Morning LDO Friends!

.As you know, i donated a kidney to my mama yesterday. Surgery went very well!  Kidney produced urine nearly on the spot for mama. She had to do apharesis (sp??) treatment before and will need two more before leaving the hospital.  Yet she is gleaming and so am I!

Recovery was a bit rough though-- i had a hard time waking up. My sis said I had been back there over 6 hours.  However, i was able to get up and walk to my chair last night (when i got upstairs)  and i just got back from visiting mama down the hall. 

Last night- I had a bit of nausea, and Phenergan seemed to work better than the other stuff beginning with a Z.

Mama also had a rough  initially recovery. The surgeons has a tough time placing my donated kidney (left) along with her original kidney and the tranplanted one from 1999 so she was out a long time.  A success nonetheless!

The gas and the dizziness is what i am dealing with currently (not a big deal). They took out the catheter (ouchy) and I am now off of the PCA pump!

Thanks for your prayers and for asking about us!  What a awesome experience!
Donating a kidney to my mom, my 'Shero'
"When the world whispers give up, Hope whispers one more time"

Offline WilliamLFreeman

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Blood is your renewable resource-please donate it!
Re: Donated yesterday!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
Blessed1,

ATTA WOMAN!!   ;D  (I have written that several times this month.   ;) )

I/we are happy that things went pretty well for both you and your Mom.  Both of you are special, indeed!

Bill
Bill - living kidney donor (non-directed, Seattle, Nov 24, 2008), & an [aging] physician  :-)

Offline jennybebopper

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 06:25:21 PM »
Congrats to you both!  Wishing you and your Mom a speedy recovery!

Jenny

Offline saskie1

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 08:09:04 PM »
Yay for you, I donated a kidney on the 13th, so I know how you are feeling.  Did you have a laparoscopic procedure?  I wish you and your mom all the best.

Offline blessed1

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 02:51:57 AM »
Thanks all for your well-wishes!

Overall i am doing pretty well. appetite is back, had very little nausea last night.  Moving around quite a bit.  Cant stay in the bed to long! here it is nearly 3am EST and i am in the lounge on the laptop. the nurses here at Inova Fairfax are angels btw!

Has anyone else experienced really bad gas from the laparoscopic procedure?  In hindsight, i wish i didnt ask for ginger ale in recovery last night but this is bad.

im walking and have been given a chewable tablet for gas, but goodness gracious,  this has been the worst part for me so far. :( any thoughts?
Donating a kidney to my mom, my 'Shero'
"When the world whispers give up, Hope whispers one more time"

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional