| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Waiting for a date. Any thoughts?  (Read 5259 times)

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
Waiting for a date. Any thoughts?
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:51:41 AM »
Hi, I've been approved to donate a kidney to my dad.  We were hoping to have a surgery date March.  But, since I had gestational diabetes with one child and not the other, they wanted me to meet with the surgeon again to discuss it.  We already discussed this when I met him on my test day, so it seems to be just a formality.  I asked if he could just call me instead of having me drive 2 hours for this.  They said yes and scheduled a phone call for next Thursday.  I feel like we're pushing the surgery back 2 more weeks and my dad and I really want to get it over with if everything is a go.

Don't you think they could just schedule a surgery date so we could move forward?   
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Waiting for a date. Any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:29:31 AM »
It seems like they could schedule the phone call a little sooner...

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:55:46 PM »
Yep.  We knew last Thursday that all my tests were good. 
Stephanie

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 03:09:27 PM »
and since the committee meets on Thursdays, we won't be given a date until the FOLLOWING week.  I know it's just how it is, but it's rather frustrating.
Stephanie

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 05:18:01 PM »
yep!   I met my surgeon after I had been approved by the committee.  However, he wasn't at that particular meeting, so he wouldn't approve until I was presented a second time when he was present.  I totally understand, since he was the one with the responsibility of operating, and if anything went wrong, it would be his problem.
After I was approved, it meant my brother, not on dialysis, could proceed with a heart catheterization, which was normal.  It translated into another two months.   
Those two weeks will go by.  Best of luck!

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »
Thank you.  :)
Stephanie

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:20:30 AM »
Yeah, it takes a little while to get through the red tape and get the final approval. It's frustrating but at the same time I'm happy they take such care in making a decision, they don't do it lightly.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved