| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Waiting stinks!!  (Read 5280 times)

Offline busymom9501

• Top 100 Poster!
Waiting stinks!!
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »
I am suppose to go in next Monday and get a second crossmatch done because the lab technician saw something that "concerned" her but she wasn't willing to call it incompatible yet. I did the first crossmatch at the beginning of April and it was negative so I've done all the other tests and have so far come out perfect! This kidney would be for a dear family friend and I have met 3/6 of her antigens and apparently she has strong antibodies which have caused other positive cross matches. I was the 7th person to get tested who finally passed!

The transplant coordinator wants me to meet with the surgeon the same day I go in for the lab work. When I asked him if we should wait until after the 2nd crossmatch results come in he said "nah.". So maybe he's optimistic?? Why waste the surgeons time if I'm not a match??

Anyways, sorry, just had to vent and say this waiting and wondering is torture!!

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
Re: Waiting stinks!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 09:06:13 PM »
Good luck with your match! Sounds like the team thinks it will work. The surgeon would not meet with you if they were concerned, however waiting does stink.  I am waiting too. 

I just mailed my blood to Detroit for the initial antigen test. I knew mom had one kidney when I was a preteen and decided to donate (if necessary) then.   Mom got sick last year.  Then, a year after starting dialysis mom finally agreed to let me be tested.  So I waited a long time (more than 20 years)  to start waiting. One more week!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 10:11:41 PM »
Dear "Busymom",
     Sometimes the crossmatch does not provide a cut-and-dried "yes" or "no" answer. There can be different antibodies involved, so when there may be "some" risk of rejection it can be a tough call to decide if the risks are worth it.
   Fr. Pat

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 04:29:17 AM »
Dear Busymom,
  Yup, waiting is the pits.  I'm sorry your process is starting off with this stress.  But that's really part of the game.  There are lots of stages, lots of tests, and lots of waiting.  Take a deep breath--this is more a marathon than a sprint.  Hang in there!  Snoopy

Offline busymom9501

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 10:49:14 PM »
Mintx- I will definitely be partying for your situation!  How exciting to be able to do this for your mama! I hope things work out and please keep me posted on what you hear.

I found out today that the first crossmatch test was done using some original blood samples of my friend. So, they want to double check things with "fresh" blood. I spoke to the transplant coordinator and he thinks things will be fine. Of course he doesn't know that for certain but he is very optimistic. Which gave me some peace.   We will both go in on Monday and if things check out okay then we will set a date!

Thank you do much to those of You who respond and help keep me informed yet grounded at the same time. Although the waiting stinks, I'm very glad, for her sake, that they double and triple check results.  This is a great community!

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 11:32:25 PM »
Sounds optimistic!  So glad things are looking good for you.  Keep us posted.  I will hear news for my next step next week.

Offline busymom9501

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »
Mintx- I just realized that I said I would be partying for your situation. Ha. I hope you knew that was suppose to be "praying"!   ;D

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 04:33:46 PM »
If we get a high level match, you can definately "party" for the situation.  Until then ( and before the next tests), I appreciate the prayers.  I am hoping to have a private party next week. 

I do keep telling my blood "don't fight, don't fight don't fight".  I know it won't influence the results but I can't help talking to the test.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved