| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Waiting approval  (Read 6866 times)

kaylasgm

Waiting approval
« on: June 15, 2011, 10:15:07 PM »
I am awaiting to see if I am a match to donate to my brother.  The waiting I think is the worse part.
I will feel terrible if I am not a match and cant help him.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Waiting approval
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 12:10:43 AM »
     Congratulations on your willingness to donate to your brother! You might want to keep in mind that if you are judged to be a suitable candidate for donation, but are not a match for your brother, you still would have (if you wish) two other options for getting him a transplant:
1. A "paired exchange" in which you would be matched with another family in the same situation. That donor would give to your brother, while you would give to that donor's incompatible candidate. Such matches can be made at www.paireddonation.org or at www.kidneyregistry.org
2. A "list exchange" in which you would donate to the best candidate selected for you from the waiting list, and in return your brother would be moved to the top (or close to the top) of the waiting list for the next available matching organ from a deceased donor, thus greatly cutting his waiting time for a transplant.
     So, don't worry excessively. If you are not a match for him, there are still ways to help him.
   best wishes,
   Fr. Pat

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 08:30:49 PM »
Kayla (also my youngest daughter's name  ;D)

Your brother is very fortunate to have such a loving and giving sister. Fr. Pat's advice provides you some options should you not be a qualifying match for donation for your brother.  In some cases, this becomes even more beneficial for so many more people and can be a blessing for more than just your brother. 

We'll pray and hope for you both.  Please keep in contact with us and thank you for your selfless willingness to provide the gift of life.

Scott    8)
Scott

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 10:54:54 PM »
Been thinking about you...and know that you are ANXIOUSLY awaiting the initial test results.

Know that you are not the ONLY option that your brother has....and we will sincerely pray that God provides the BEST option for him.

Phil Hoover
Chicago
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

kaylasgm

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 11:27:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies and words of encouragement.
I was suppose to hear by friday, but still awaiting the results.
Anything I can do to prepare myself?

Terryw

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:44:28 AM »
Hi Kaylasgm,

I have only just got my tests results after a 3 1/2 week wait and know its always going though your mind but its something that you cant control and just keep everything crossed for the match.

But if you dont match there are many other options that would still help your brother as Fr pat said and you would still be helping him to get what he needs

I will keep everything crossed for you and be positive it will work out one way or the other as your brother has you  ;D

Terry x

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:16:20 PM »
Hi Kayla and welcome!

The waiting is really hard. I remember it well. I would think "Just call already - I really want to know!"

It can take a bit, but they will contact you. Fr. Pat gave you great advice about the paired exchange donation if you are not a match.

I think it is so fantastic that you are willing to donate to your Brother. He is so fortunate to have such a loving and caring Sister as you!

Please do let us know when you hear about the results. We are all pulling for you that you will be a match!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 12:08:12 AM »
Some things to do just in case you are a match (and good for your health anyhow): drink water....try to drink lots (they never really told me what lots was but I try to get 8-10 glasses a day), exercise regularly, eat healthy (try to get lots of fruits and veggies and avoid high amounts of sodium).  I also tried to get used to only taking tylenol when I used to take advil or aleve (if you end up donating, you'll need to avoid NSAID's).  Something I wish I'd done when I look back....journal.  I bought one and tried to journal but never quite got around to doing it.  Now I wish I'd put together a detailed timeline of when I had to do each step of the testing process at the very least.  I do have emails between me and my recipient as well as letters/prescriptions from the transplant center so I could probably recreate the timeline, but it isn't quite the same thing.

Do your research and gather your questions for your coordinator, the surgeon, etc if you haven't already gone through the all-day evaluation (I think you're still at the initial testing phase). I did keep a notebook as my central holding place for my notes, questions, transplant team's contact info, etc.  I hope it works out for you!  Try to relax and enjoy the process.  The waiting is definitely the worst part.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Terryw

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 03:52:10 AM »
Thats very good information jstx for me as well I have started to drink lots of water and looking at what I eat plus getting a new bike to get my fitness up and also started a Blog with a time line of what tests and feelings I have had so far.

The wait was long and many times I just wanted to call and ask if there was any news but knew they would call when they did, And when she did call it was so good and then you start to think about whats next!! ;D

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 05:52:12 AM »
Remember the TRANSPLANT TEAM is just as concerned about YOU (the donor) as they are about the recipient.  If this is not the case, find another hospital....and I'm being VERY SERIOUS.

Where are you donating?
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved