| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Question for living donors regarding health insurance  (Read 5977 times)

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Question for living donors regarding health insurance
« on: August 29, 2012, 04:38:46 PM »
A friend is doing research and asked me to put this question out here:
Were you denied health insurance, or given a  probationary period, for having a pre-existing condition from donating a kidney?
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Question for living donors regarding health insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:36:58 AM »
I had group insurance through my work for both myself and my husband. I specifically asked prior to donating if there would be any changes or repercussions. The answer was "no", and I did find that to hold true after the donation.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:45:20 AM »
No, but I have a policy that is paid up for 'life' that started before I donated. 

Offline Catherine C

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »
I am applying for health insurance right now.  We usually have coverage through my husband's work, however, he is getting laid off end of Oct.  My friend who is putting together a package for me has seen where donors have been denied, so I went and had my physical done so I can answer the LONG questionare that they require.  He did say if I get denied, they send it to the state I believe to where you can get coverage for those that have been denied. 
I had to get coverage about 4 years ago when my husband lost his job back then too, and BCBS, did not deny me. 
I will let you know if I get turned down.

Catherine-Donated Kidney to mother Jan.2001 Univ. of CO

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 11:03:47 PM »
We thought my hubbys Cobra insurance was going to run out, ended up we get another year, yeah. But as we were checking into insurance to see about rates and coverage, I was fine as long as my evaluations were ok, it was hubby that was denied by a couple as he is type 2 diabetic.  He is a higher risk than I am.  And his is very well controlled, didn't matter they wouldn't even consider him.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 10:14:25 PM »
Nice to hear that people are not having problems.  I do not have health insurance and am about to be a donar.  I hope to get insurance within a few months after donating.

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »
mintx, any chance you can get your insurance before you donate? I don't want to alarm you, but if you have a complication from the surgery, you could have a problem getting individual insurance afterwards. (It's not an issue if you're getting group coverage through your employer.) You really need to be covered BEFORE you have surgery.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »
I would love to get coverage before surgery but unfortunately it does not look like that will happen.  Life has been a bit of a challange the past few years.  I have decided ( with the support of my family) that we are not letting my circumstances interfear with my donation of a kidney to my mom (via donor chain).

The positive news is that with all of the testing, I am 100% healthy now.  I meet with the surgical team in two weeks for final approval but most of the poking, prodding, x-rays, blood and urine labs are FINALLY done.  If there are no complications and I get insurace after, then I will be in good shape.  If not, then I will deal with it.   

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 08:15:15 PM »
     SOME transplant hospitals participate in a program of the "Living Organ Donor Network" that provides special life/health/disability insurance ONLY for living donors (for a limited time). You should ask the social worker attached to the organ donation program at your hospital, or the transplant coordinator, about this posibility.
     best wishes,
         Fr. Pat

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »
Thank you!  I will ask about it when I meet with the team.  I do have life insurance that has been in place for a long time.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved