| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Diet  (Read 4158 times)

Offline rg1805

• Conversationalist
Diet
« on: September 28, 2012, 08:58:21 AM »
Does anyone know the effects of caffeine on the kidney? I love coffee, but feel I shouldn't drink it anymore. Also, I am very curious about smart eating choices for after kidney donation. Thinking I need to visit a nutrionist. Have always been a pretty healthy eater, but now I second guess a lot of my food choices.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Diet
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 08:04:50 PM »
     I have not read any of any studies indicating that a kidney donor should give up caffein. If coffee causes more urination, be extra careful to stay hydrated by drinking water as well. The National Kidney Foundation (www.kidney.org) as a lot of information, recipies, etc. for a "kidney-friendly" nutrition program. Although their advice is mostly for persons suffering from kidney disease some of their tips and recipies are helpful for anyone concerned with maintaining kidney health.
     best wishes,
         Fr. Pat

Offline Dora76

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
Hello,

I'm also an avid coffee lover and I've not been advised or read anything about adverse effects of caffeine on the kidney. I'm also concerned about making smart dietary choices, both because I'm a kidney donor, but also just in general to maintain a healthy lifestyle.  I was a donor to my mother, and her chronic kidney disease was due to hypertension, which can be tied to genetics, so I get a little concerned.

But based on the advice of the dietitian and nephrologist on my transplant team, they pretty much recommended the standard balanced healthy diet of whole foods based on whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.  The one thing they repeatedly warned me to stay away from were extremely high protein diets.

I think it's good to be more knowledgeable about nutrition though...if you'd like to speak with a nutritionist and you think that would help you, I'd say go for it.  Your transplant team should also have a dietitian on staff too, so you can probably link up with someone easily that way.  And then there's always Google =)

Take care!
~Living kidney donor to my mother, November 2010~

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »
I, as well, was never told to stay away from caffeine. I don't know what I would do without my coffee!! As others have said, was told to eat a healthy diet, with a particular eye to watching salt intake.

I think your idea of talking to a nutritionist or dietician is a good one. I never had any interaction with that profession until my husband was on dialysis and then transplant - both of  the centers provided access to an on-staff dietician. What a wealth of knowledge and advice they had! And always more than willing to provide information and feedback. I think you would like talking with one.

Be cautious of putting yourself on a "kidney" diet without being advised to do so by your nephrologist or other professional who knows your kidney function. A CKD and/or dialysis diet are limited in a lot of areas for certain foods because of the need to watch potassium and phosphorus intake. You could be missing out on a lot of nutrients by cutting out certain foods if there is no real need to do so.

Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 08:49:24 PM »
Good for you in being health consious, but then you were a donor, we are healthy.

Just a few things.  It has been proven that 2-3 cups (8 oz) has beneficial effects.  Not 2-3 mugs, or grandes.  Green tea is also healthy, and many other beverages.  Even a glass of wine or beer occasionally is good.  All things in moderation.  Small pieces of very dark chocolate daily is good.

These are just a few things I've done since donation, 2 qts of filtered water daily.  You can use it in your beverages.  Need to flush and keep that kidney happy.

The heart assoc.  recommends only 1500mg. of sodium daily.  I try to keep it to 1000mg.  High blood pressure runs in my family.  Because I donated at 60 yoa, my neuphologist started me on some low dose medication after surgery as I did spike some high readings after surgery.  Better safe than sorry.  My BP numbers are low normal.  Of course losing 25 lb and now daily exercise has also helped.  I may not need the meds now, but, but HBP is the silent killer, in more ways than one.

My hubby is type 2 diabetic so we do follow a low carb, low glycemic diet for the most part.  Lots of salad and veggies, small protein amounts.  Whole grains for pasta and breads. 

As far as protein at a meal, a piece of meat the size of a deck of cards is recommended.  If served more at a restaurant, take it home.  Not sure what the grams would be on that portion.  I have yogurt and milk with my cereal most mornings.  Nuts for a snack during the day.

I'm due to go in for a yearly check up, my numbers have been good this last year.  Don't expect much change.   

Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional